Sign in with
Your question

Windows freezing up and occasional black screen

Last response: in Windows Vista
May 16, 2012 11:24:29 PM

Hello,
my pc freezes up randomly after I've gotten to the desktop. this does not happen when I'm in safe mode. I have not added or changed any hardware or software before this started happening. please help. my pc is hp media center tv m8120n sys#gc674aa
May 17, 2012 9:46:35 AM

ren696 said:
Hello,
my pc freezes up randomly after I've gotten to the desktop. this does not happen when I'm in safe mode. I have not added or changed any hardware or software before this started happening. please help. my pc is hp media center tv m8120n sys#gc674aa

If this is a recent event, try Windows Restore to date prior to errors.
May 24, 2012 1:56:58 AM

ksiemb said:
If this is a recent event, try Windows Restore to date prior to errors.

ok i have done a clean install. i have disconnected everything except the hd graphics card and ram. i have run a self diag on the hd and the ram, results came back negative. i managed to install the graphics card driver from the nvidia websight. the device manager shows all devices as working. i don't know what else to do. please help
Related resources
May 24, 2012 6:57:14 AM

ren696 said:
ok i have done a clean install. i have disconnected everything except the hd graphics card and ram. i have run a self diag on the hd and the ram, results came back negative. i managed to install the graphics card driver from the nvidia websight. the device manager shows all devices as working. i don't know what else to do. please help

[#0004ff]Sorry for the delay - Apparently the forum is having some issues, as I have received no email notifications now, for days[/#0004ff]. Your original symptoms of not occuring in safe mode, but happens in normal mode, indicate a driver problem of some sort. Even possibly the fact that a VISTA update changed a driver because they deemed it was needed (VISTA is famous for this). Now, with the clean install, you probably have other driver problems. Look in device manager for "other devices" or error code being reported for installed devices.
May 25, 2012 12:28:40 AM

ksiemb said:
[#0004ff]Sorry for the delay - Apparently the forum is having some issues, as I have received no email notifications now, for days[/#0004ff]. Your original symptoms of not occuring in safe mode, but happens in normal mode, indicate a driver problem of some sort. Even possibly the fact that a VISTA update changed a driver because they deemed it was needed (VISTA is famous for this). Now, with the clean install, you probably have other driver problems. Look in device manager for "other devices" or error code being reported for installed devices.

No worries on the delays :)  Anywhoo, I haven't been able to install any updates yet, cuz it freezes up before anything could be completed. I have looked in the device manager and there is no indication of anything being wrong. ??
May 25, 2012 4:45:41 AM

i have done a clean install. i have disconnected everything except the hd graphics card and ram. i have run a self diag on the hd and the ram, results came back negative. i managed to install the graphics card driver from the nvidia websight
May 25, 2012 8:28:42 AM

sajid005 said:
i have done a clean install. i have disconnected everything except the hd graphics card and ram. i have run a self diag on the hd and the ram, results came back negative. i managed to install the graphics card driver from the nvidia websight

So, did that fix the problem, or you still have an issue ?
May 25, 2012 11:45:22 AM

ksiemb said:
So, did that fix the problem, or you still have an issue ?

Nope, it still doing the same thing. I am going to boot up in safe mode and let the pc stay on overnight and see if it truly does not freeze up in safe mode. I'll let you know how that works. The pc came w/ vista, do you think it would make a difference if I installed windows 7??
May 25, 2012 2:53:56 PM

ren696 said:
Nope, it still doing the same thing. I am going to boot up in safe mode and let the pc stay on overnight and see if it truly does not freeze up in safe mode. I'll let you know how that works. The pc came w/ vista, do you think it would make a difference if I installed windows 7??

IMO, anything is better than Vista ! :lol:  :lol:  But run the Win7 Upgrade advisor first to be advised of potential problems with existing soft/hard ware.
!