firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I've just had to install a new motherboard to replace an old new motherboard (you read right)
now i've built systems before like S478 and the other ones (P3) but never Socket 775.

I've had some trouble installing the CPU FAN and just hope I haven't damaged anything and frankly, scared to switch on the system incase if something goes wrong.

had to forcefully place down the fastners through the holes because it was tough doing it, on the ASUS P5E motherboard. had to twist/unscrew out the black things, which caused some of the CPU heatsink/fan gray metally bits to bend to one side but that shouldnt be much of an issue, then had to realllllyyy push down on the fastners to get it down and outside on the other end of the board. and the CPU fan seems to be solidly in place.

Other thing im concerned about was when placing the CPU inside. it was a little hard to get the lever down but I believe to correctly insert the CPU - gold triangle facing bottom left as per manual, and fitted well (everything lining up)

I had to take out the extra black cover over the motherboard PSU connector, so I could connect my PSU power cable into the motherboard... it did say in the manual to take it out for 12+V connector, and thats where this cable is coming from the PSU - 12V+ connector.

RAM's installed and so is the PCI Express graphics, the only thing I have connected - no drives or anything just yet.

I am however very worried incase if something goes wrong - such as i dunno, CPU drastically overheating/smoke coming out or whatever. I dunno.

Just was concerned mostly about the fan because it took me a whilst to install it.

thoughts?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
They are ment to have some pressure to install as this is what makes good contact. As long as the CUU and HS are in the correct dirrection you should have NP.

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks that does reassure me. what about the contact between them? obviously no way for me to check if they contact each other.....

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
just switched it on, wow all works! woohoo.

looking @ the CPU temp.... 28.5 and rising slowly...now 29. been on for 3 mins now. I would expect this to go to around 40 tops for a Quad core 2 2.44GHz

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Yeah... First time I worked with one of these I could of sworn the motherboard was going to snap. I wouldn't worry to much. Unless you heard something crack you should be OK and if it did mount properly you will know right away as the temps would rise pretty fast. So at those Temps it sounds like it was a success.

Cheers

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
thanks. I see the temp being around 45 degrees now...after the BIOS update. The motherboard could be a better design in terms of where the IDE and SATA connections are based and faced.

what is the reasonable temp for a Quad 2 Core 2.44GHz?

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
50-55c under load with the stock cooler seems to be the mean temp around the various forums.

One way I verify good contact is to install the heatsink, then pull it up and observe the contact patch the thermal paste leaves on the cpu.

A good even pasting (smear) indicates good contact. My first gpu waterblock pulled off with no transfer, discovered the pins were too long, so along comes dremel, and problem solved.

I would suggest a good aftermarket cooler if you want to OC that quad, the stock falls short. The Artic Freezer Pro 7 is similar in install, but performs much better than the stock HS, plus it is around $25 shipped.