Window Distorts While Dragging

muzicman82

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
Hello,

I have an eVGA nVidia Geforce 8800GT 512MB video card on Windows XP SP2.

I'm running two 24" monitors at 1920x1200, although I have tried other resolutions (1680x1050) and different monitors (2x 20").

When dragging a window, I get series blocky distortion on whichever window I'm dragging. Normally, it can be fixed by minimizing or maximizing the window, but sometimes not. I've tried driver packages 169.21, 169.28, 174.74 among others.

What's the deal? Any fix? Anyone know of a working driver version?

2406458442_dee2083487_o.png

Just to add doing this may have an adverse effect (FPS wise) when gaming but its easy enough to turn it off again if it does cause probs :)
Mactronix

muzicman82

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
Right, but I am using DVI connections... Technically speaking, doesn't this sync happen in the monitor itself then?? I wouldn't think you'd have to enable an option to fix a problem. Bah.

In any case, the setting has no effect.

No the sync does not happen in the monitor, don't know where you got that from.
With it enabled the graphics card is capped to the refresh rate of the monitor so that it only issues a frame when the monitor asks for it instead of pushing frames over the top of the old ones which causes the overlapping/out of alignment effect which is called tearing, which looks a lot like your screen shot.
Just thought you might want to know. as you say it didn't make a difference.
And for someone who is coming to a forum looking for help and clearly doesn't know what they are talking about this statement you made. "I wouldn't think you'd have to enable an option to fix a problem. Bah." really wont endear people to help you.
Mactronix

muzicman82

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
Ok, I meant sync is interpreted by the monitor.

I work in pro-AV, and terminate RGBHV on BNC connectors on an almost daily basis. Analog VGA of course sends horizontal and vertical sync on separate coaxial lines. However, many monitors interpret their own vertical sync based on the horizontal sync. Some actually listen to V-sync and some will even ignore it even if you send it.

DVI is a totally different game. By sending digital sync down with digital blue, the monitor interprets this data itself. So, my statement isn't as ignorant as you think. I wasn't implying that sync just happens in a monitor. But for you to assume I "clearly" don't know what I'm talking about is pretty rude.

And by saying, "I wouldn't think you'd have to enable an option to fix a problem. Bah.", I was simply implying that, in terms of general troubleshooting, I shouldn't or wouldn't expect to have to go fiddle with settings for something to work. It was just a simple, casual, statement out of frustration.. but if you have no personality, that's fine.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your help, but you don't have to take forum posts so literally. And if by using words like "Bah." discourages people from helping me.. then so be it.

Maybe I should use more emoticons.

do the windows move slowly as well, or quickly with artifacts as seen? I'd have thought tearing would lead to horizontal (or staggered vertical) corruptions as a result of the horizontal scanning method, DVI may (or may not) be less bothered by it.

How hot is the GPU, it could be throttling? (long shot I know) rivatuner can help you determine temps. What PSU are you using, it may throttling due to low power conditions. However both of these I'd expect to be far more visible as fault conditions whilst gaming.

Can you run 3dmark to see if the card is in the right ball park or not?

That's all I've got for now.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Go to your system properties(Windows Button+Break) Go to the advanced tab. Under performance click settings. Uncheck show windows contents while dragging. I can't explain why it gets choppy but I do know that seeing what your dragging isn't really necessary and on older machines(really old) can lag the system up.

TRENDING THREADS