General3481

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I know people had to post something like this before, but I am having shut down problems when I play games. The other day I just bought graw2, it would just shut down after a couple mins playing. I downloaded crysis to see if it was a heating issue. I played through crysis with no problem. Only when I played graw2 did it shut down. I played crysis in 32bit mode it shut down. Now today for some reason crysis 64bit version shuts down on me. I don't think its my power supply I just bout a pc power and cooling psu 850watt one. I haven't had it longer than a week I think. I flashed my bios to a recent revision and I still have the problem. My rig consists: evga 680i sli, 8800gtx bfg, 2 gigs of cosair dominator ram, 850watt pc power and cooling, plextor dvd-rw(px-755sa) 6600 core 2 duo. It might be a software issue cause it played crysis fine the other day but didnt play graw2 longer than a couple of mins. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I know others had shut down problems but I haven't heard a problem like this.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
What are your CPU/GPU temperatures?
Is your system overclocked?
Is it Prime95 stable?
Can you loop 3D Mark 06?

It's hard to pin down shutdowns/reboots without more information.

General3481

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I am at work right now, so I will download 3d mark 06, is there anything else that I need to download or anything else i need to do? When I get home I will get try what is recommended. Also note that I played there cod4 with a 510 watt psu with no problem maybe 2 weeks ago. same rig but with a different psu. The problem started when i took it to a friends house. That was when the problem started. Thats why i kinda bought a better psu and now the problem is back

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Could be the thermal paste is hard and dry by now.
The "shock" of movement could have made the paste crack and thus reduced the thermal conduction.
Run Prime95 to see if it shuts down. Use CPUID HW Monitor/CoreTemp and check temperatures to see if it goes over 60°C. If it does reapply the thermal paste. Repeat the procedure and reduce the overclock (if it's overclocked).
Also run memtest86 to check if RAM is okey.
Recheck all power connectors, reseat RAM, graphics card, ...

At this point that's all I have. If everything is as it should be and nothing overheats, nothing is overclocked, it could be something else is failing.

General3481

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
thanks for the help. I haven't overclocked it. I am still at work, as soon as i get home i will try, thanks again for the help, and i will post the results asap.

General3481

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Voltage sensor 0 1.22 Volts [0x98] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage sensor 1 1.50 Volts [0xBB] (VIN1)
Voltage sensor 2 4.85 Volts [0xCA] (+5V)
Voltage sensor 3 3.23 Volts [0xCA] (+3.3V)
Voltage sensor 4 1.19 Volts [0x95] (CPU FSB)
Voltage sensor 5 1.56 Volts [0xC3] (VIN2)
Voltage sensor 6 1.85 Volts [0xE7] (DRAM)
Temperature sensor 1 68°C (153°F) [0x87] (CPU)
Temperature sensor 2 48°C (118°F) [0x60] (AUX)
Fan sensor 1 2482 RPM [0x44] (CPUFANIN0)
Fan sensor 3 1372 RPM [0x7B] (CPUFANIN1)

Temperature sensor 0 65°C (149°F) [0x14] (core #0)
Temperature sensor 1 63°C (145°F) [0x16] (core #1)

GeForce 8800 GTX hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 80°C (176°F) [0x50] (GPU Core)

General3481

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
As yall can see my cpu core are pretty much in the low 60's and my gpu is in the 80's. I know this is bad but how bad? I have a full tower case (thermaltake circle) it has a fan in the front and the back. The hot air goes through the back. What else do I need to do. When someone said something about the thermal compound it kinda felt like it confirmed something. I did the Prime95 test and the 3dmark 06 test also. My rig shut down on both of em. I am thinking going in my closet tomorrow and finding my thermal compound and trying that. If anyone has any good advice I would appreciate it. Oh yea these temps was this high just from being on the internet, and nothing else.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9ZL

The thermal spec for your chip is ~60°C.
If those are idle temperatures above that's very bad. If they are load temperatures it's bad enough. Since you say it shuts down in both 3D Mark 06 and Prime95 I think the CPU is overheating and shuting down.
You could run only the graphics tests from 3D Mark 06 (Return to Proxycon/Firefly Forest, Canyon Flight, Deep Freeze) skipping the CPU tests (Red Valley).
In any case I recommend remounting the CPU cooler (remove the board from the case to make sure you mounted it properly, if you have pushpins make sure they are evenly pushed through the holes on the motherboard and after mounting it the first time recheck the thermal paste is spread out evenly across the CPU's top). EDIT: don't forget to clean the old (probably dried up) thermal paste from the CPU and heatsink before applying the new paste.

The GTX temperature also seems a bit high to me but I've never really had the chance to work with one of those (500-600 EUR local pricepoint made it quite rare).

General3481

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Thank Andrius!! Really appreciate the help. Im at work right now, but I borrowed my friends thermal compound (artic silver the good stuff) since I couldn't find mine before I left this morning. But yea I think my system shut down during the video test(firefly i believe). What are normal temps for the cpu/gpu while on the internet typing this, cuz thats what I was doing when I posted that? My 4 gigs of ram should come in tomorrow, so I hope I can get this fixed by tomorrow.

General3481

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Hardware monitor
-----------------------------------------------------

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 39°C (102°F) [0x2E] (core #0)
Temperature sensor 1 35°C (95°F) [0x32] (core #1)

Dump hardware monitor

Hardware monitor
-----------------------------------------------------

GeForce 8800 GTX hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 79°C (174°F) [0x4F] (GPU Core)

Dump hardware monitor

Looks like it the cpu fan did come loose when I took it over my friends house. I took the old thermal compound off put the new on, had a time getting it back on. Started it back up, 3d mark 06 ran with no problems, I played graw2 with no problems, seems like its fix, thanks for your help Andrius. Really Really appreciate it, I am looking forward to fedex tomorrow now (Hope vista runs 6 gigs no conflicts). Eventually will buy another 8800gtx. thanks again bud.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Glad to see it works now. The fixed (under 40°C) temperatures look good.
As far as I know the GTX runs hotter than most other cards (the price of ultimate single GPU performance for about 18 months).
I've checked a few reviews/forum posts and idle temperatures for a GTX range from ~55°C to ~75°C and load to ~90°C. Your temperatures appear quite high for idle. I would run 3D Mark loops for about an hour and check the MAX reached temperature (either with HW Monitor or RivaTuner).

I won't recommend you take apart the GPU. If it's still under warranty (it should be) check with the manufacturer if your temperatures are a problem.
If they are RMA it and let them see what they make of it.

General3481

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I will do that. I am gonna google and look around for a solution. The card is BFG so I believe its a lifetime warranty. So if its the card I will be getting hold of them. Thanks again.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Okey so I found this review of a BFG 8800 GTX (idle 60°C, load 85°C at stock)
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIxOCwxNiwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

I recommend contacting BFG techsupport ASAP and asking about "acceptable" working temperatures.

Good luck. :)