Sign in with
Your question

Monitor screen goes black

Last response: in Windows Vista
May 17, 2012 1:09:22 PM

Hello,
Is it my monitor or the computer that is bad? My computer stays powered up and light stays on for the monitor but monitor goes black & keeps flashing a message analog/digital then stays black till I have to power down the computer using its on/off button. When all rebooted it may come back on but will only last a few minutes to 1/2 an hour. And will A DVI cord for the monitir fix this problem???? Thank you very much. Michelle

More about : monitor screen black

May 17, 2012 1:37:50 PM

After powering up my monitor, It can stay on anywhere from 2 seconds to 1/2 an hour..it flashes between digital/analog 2-3 times then goes black. the computer stays powered up throughout until i have to push the power button off. No matter how many times i reboot I get the same problem.. Will having a DVI cord for the monitor help this problem at all?? Thank You.
May 17, 2012 4:38:18 PM

Shelly have you made any changes to the system recently? Or did this just start happening? What happens when you turn your monitor off then back on?

If it started happening with no provocation it may just be a broken / breaking monitor. If you have another to test with I would recommend that. If it fixes the problem then the monitor is physically broken.
Related resources
May 17, 2012 5:48:15 PM

shelly_52 said:
After powering up my monitor, It can stay on anywhere from 2 seconds to 1/2 an hour..it flashes between digital/analog 2-3 times then goes black. the computer stays powered up throughout until i have to push the power button off. No matter how many times i reboot I get the same problem.. Will having a DVI cord for the monitor help this problem at all?? Thank You.

Graphics card may be going bad - If Not connected to on board port, you might try removing, dusting and reseating the card. Or, try the monitor on another computer, as it may be the fault.
a b C Monitor
May 17, 2012 6:46:04 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • My monitor goes black power button still on
    !