Faulty 9800GX2

J hendy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Yo, has anyone heard of daulty or DOA 9800GX2's being common at the moment, i bought an XFX 9800GX2 XT with my new build, and to my supprise the PC wouldn't POST, so i installed an old 7 series that i had lieing around and my new machine posted for the first time.

So i'm just curious as to whether 9800GX2's are fault-prone, or if the XFX are shipping dodgey batches... i don't want to have another faulty GX2 come next week.

Gimmie a heads up

Thanks

Well, as with any performance tech DOA is possible, but I haven't heard them as being any more prone to failure than others. In fact, there are a few members here happily running 9800GX2s. Are you sure there is no other issue (like insufficient power?) I'm not doubting you, just want to make sure everything is checked before you go through the RMA process.

(Yay, 700 posts!)

J hendy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Nah, but thanks for the help, i use a 1000watt coolermaster real power, im just supprised because i've never had a faulty graphics card before, thought it was rather uncommon in video technology.

J hendy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I'm really not sure as to what the problem is with this build, i switched out the 9800 with a test card and got the system to semi-post, but it would halt on the first screen and fail to respond to the keyboard, which leaves me thinking that my XFX 790i Ultra SLI is infact the root of the problem, still, the machine won't POST with the 9800 in it, so perhaps they're both faulty.

I might add that the motherboard's PCB was quite bent, or warped on the underside of where the northbridge heatsink is sat, so the most likely scenario is that the motherboard is the result of a manufacturing error. I'm boggled, after spending nearly two months without a gaming PC to upgrade to what i have now, and then be confronted by endless road blocks.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Core2Duo E6850
Motherboard: XFX 790i Ultra SLI
Memory: SuperTalent 2GB DDR3 1600MHz
PSU: Coolermaster Real Power M1000
GPU: XFX 9800GX2 XT Edition
Chassis: Thermaltake Kandalf LCS

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Mine worked fine:S

I think You should return it and try your luck with another, this can happen with any card. my friend's 3870 X2 was faulty twice, so he ended up buying a 9800 GTX lol (He got frustrated).

As for heating I doubt thats the issue, it has the most advanced heating to date apparently.

Make sure its connected properly and make sure that the green lights are lit.

The Gx2 has weird positioning of its DVI ports, the bottom one is the main one and the top is secondary.

Hope this helps!

J hendy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I will send it back, but Scan's probably gonna charge me if it's not faulty, like OCuk do, so i'm slightly apprehensive.

Anyway, the problem can only be one of two things, or maybe two ;/ I'll send both items back this coming monday.