Buying OEM/Retail CPU

m65

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
So Ive wanted an AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 BE forever. Just when I get the money together for a new build, It apparently is discontinued. So when I saw it on Newegg, I was very excited. When I went to check out, I was directed to a page warning me this was an OEM/Retail version. After some research of reviews of other customers, I noticed that were always a few that had broken parts arrive in the mail. I called Newegg and asked if I bought this CPU, and it came in the mail with bent or broken pins, could I return it. She said no as it was a retail and AMD would not accept physically damaged CPU's, so Newegg would not accept it. My question is, would you take the chance (and 135.00) on a retail CPU?

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
are you looking for this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

This is retail box version... I never see a retail box version have bent or broken pin.... and these kind of physical demage for sure is not covered by warranty... is same as all other cpu... for intel ..now the pin is one the MB ..if one of the pin is demage... you also cannot RMA the board..

Most of bent or broken pin is cause by accident...

Hi :)

I buy both OEM and RETAIL CPU`s for my shops...

A lot of them...

If ANY arrived damaged , they would be RMA`d FOR FREE REPLACEMENT..

The only difference between OEM and RETAIL is no fan/heatsink with OEM and a shorter warranty (1 year OEM vs 3 years RETAIL).. in THE UK

All the best Brett :)

Slickrick214

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
OEM CPU's don't come in the regular retail packaging and they dont't come with a fan/heatsink. The problem is because it doesn't come with retail packaging there is a higher chance of damage to the CPU during shipping. Also there is a higher chance of getting a conterfeit CPU. I stay far away from CPU's that don't have an Intel/ AMD SKU number on it and doesn't come in a retail packaging box.

The Real Deal!
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM Retail Box
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=46281&vpn=HDZ965FBGMBOX&manufacture=AMD&promoid=1009

lockguy81

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Here's my story. I just received an AMD 8120 in retail packaging yesterday. The shipping box looked good and it was shipped in a tin. Other things in the package were a bubble wrapped DVD drive, and a motherboard in a cardboard box. The CPU tin arrived dented and scratched. The CPU plastic shell was dimpled where the pins were pushed into it and bent. So I think Newegg sent out a damaged product. Since the cardboard and bubble wrap couldn't have scratched the tin. Got an RMA hoping for the best.

TRENDING THREADS