System crashes during certain games

momentkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
Today when I was playing GTR2 my computer just 'crashed', the screen turned black and the monitor went on stand-by, but the fans and leds were still on. The GPU fan also went on 100% during the blank screen(That normally only happens before Windows has started up).

Could the Nvidia drivers be the cause of this? Or is there more to this?

I had this problem before but then it only happened during some games(Gtr2,Settlers: Rise of an Empire and Assasins Creed) strangely enough it has never crashed during COD4, Bioshock, PES2008, and Crysis.

My system:
Gigabyte P35 DS3L rev2.0 (F7) (also tried F8a But still had the same problem)
E2160 @ 2.5ghz
GEIL 2GB Dual Channel (p/n:GX22GB6400DC)
9600GT (FW174.74)
CM eXtreme Power Plus 460 Watt

I also tried running everything at stock but the problem still consisted

Has someone experienced something similair or do you know the solution, don't hasitate to reply ! :p

thanks

Memory CPU-Z:
memory.jpg

Bios Settings:
IMG_0043.jpg

i already changed the PCI from 'auto' to 100 and I changed the voltages from "manual" to auto

momentkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
I did all the prime95 tests a couple of times for 5 to 8 hours. But as I said I get the crashes also during default settings/speeds.

And the weird thing it only crashes while playing certain games.
No problems: Crysis, COD4 and Bioshock (all played for several hours)
Problems: GTR2, Assasin's Creed and Settlers:ROE

Thanks for the reply anyway, and I'll run all the tests you recommended just to be sure.

If your machine only crashes during games, you may want to check the psu. Generally speaking, there are usually two reasons this happens 1) bad memory, 2) not enough amps/watts from the psu.

If you run the prime95 and memtest with no issues or errors, you might want to make sure that your psu has enough AMPS on the 12v rail(s) to feed your video card. A 460W psu is more than enough for your system, so the only other thing to look at would be to make sure the psu is can carry enough amps.

Sometimes it can be something as simple as a bad power cord from the wall socket to the psu, just another thought.

Good luck!

momentkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
that could be, but that doesn't explain why it doesnt crash during Crysis, which is obviously the most power hungry game of them all.

enjeru2008

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008

man!! Im having exactly the same problems!! Run great with COD4, etc. And crashes with AC for example. I have 2 8800GT OC SLI. I updated my video driver and bios. Need to check if windows is updated. My GPU temp is fine around 68-75 degrees full load.

enjeru2008

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008

man!! Im having exactly the same problems!! Run great with COD4, etc. And crashes with AC for example. I have 2 8800GT OC SLI. I updated my video driver and bios. Need to check if windows is updated. My GPU temp is fine around 68-75 degrees full load.

enjeru2008

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008