USB Connection to Digital Camera

July 7, 2004 11:03:59 PM

I'm considering getting a WiFi & Bluetooth Palm or Clie to email jpegs off
my Fufi Finepix S5000 camera. I intend to connect to internet via WiFi
Hotspot or Bluetooth/GPRS Mobile 'Phone whilst travelling. I can't work out
how to get the jpegs off the camera into the PDA (the S5000 uses XD Cards).
The camera has a "mini" USB connector so if I could find a suitable lead
(which I can't, yet) would the PDA "see" the camera as an external drive
allowing me to simply attach the jpegs to an email? Does any particular PDA
lend itself to this application better than others? Any help on this subject
much appreciated.
July 8, 2004 1:16:48 AM

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:03:59 +0000, Halfbob wrote:

> I'm considering getting a WiFi & Bluetooth Palm or Clie to email jpegs off
> my Fufi Finepix S5000 camera. I intend to connect to internet via WiFi
> Hotspot or Bluetooth/GPRS Mobile 'Phone whilst travelling. I can't work out
> how to get the jpegs off the camera into the PDA (the S5000 uses XD Cards).
> The camera has a "mini" USB connector so if I could find a suitable lead
> (which I can't, yet) would the PDA "see" the camera as an external drive
> allowing me to simply attach the jpegs to an email?

No. The Camera requires that it be connected to something that supports
USB host - which your PDA doesn't support.

> Does any particular PDA
> lend itself to this application better than others?

The only PDA that I am aware of that supports USB host is the Zaurus
SL-6000.

The low tech route would be to get a camera that has the same memory card
that your PDA supports. Then you can just pop the card right into the PDA.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 9:47:20 PM

Thanks Nemo,

Unfortunately I've already bought the Camera (which uses "XD Picture Card"
memory cards), but not bought the PDA yet.

I'll check out the Zaurus you mention.

"Nemo" <nemo@nowhere.org> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.07.07.21.16.47.926556@nowhere.org...
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 19:03:59 +0000, Halfbob wrote:
>
> > I'm considering getting a WiFi & Bluetooth Palm or Clie to email jpegs
off
> > my Fufi Finepix S5000 camera. I intend to connect to internet via WiFi
> > Hotspot or Bluetooth/GPRS Mobile 'Phone whilst travelling. I can't work
out
> > how to get the jpegs off the camera into the PDA (the S5000 uses XD
Cards).
> > The camera has a "mini" USB connector so if I could find a suitable lead
> > (which I can't, yet) would the PDA "see" the camera as an external drive
> > allowing me to simply attach the jpegs to an email?
>
> No. The Camera requires that it be connected to something that supports
> USB host - which your PDA doesn't support.
>
> > Does any particular PDA
> > lend itself to this application better than others?
>
> The only PDA that I am aware of that supports USB host is the Zaurus
> SL-6000.
>
> The low tech route would be to get a camera that has the same memory card
> that your PDA supports. Then you can just pop the card right into the
PDA.

July 9, 2004 3:35:40 AM

Halfbob <nospam@sonoaddress.com> wrote:
> Thanks Nemo,

> Unfortunately I've already bought the Camera (which uses "XD Picture Card"
> memory cards), but not bought the PDA yet.

As mentioned in my response to this thread on another newsgroup
(I guess you posted twice, rather than to multiple groups at once :^) ),
something like this might help:

Olympus xD to Compact Flash Adapter
http://www.memorysuppliers.com/olxdtocomfla.html

(No relation to them; never heard of xD Picture cards until reading your
post. I just did a Google and found this towards the top of the list ;)  )

Many PDA's support CF, and it's cheap/easy to get readers for
desktop PCs (USB) and laptops (CF-to-PCMCIA).

There are, of course, also xD readers and xD-to-PCMCIA adapters around,
it seems. See, for example:

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/olxdpiccar.html

-bill!
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 11:06:02 AM

bill@newbreedsoftware.com (William Kendrick) wrote in

> Many PDA's support CF, and it's cheap/easy to get readers
> for desktop PCs (USB) and laptops (CF-to-PCMCIA).

Not Palm OS PDAs. Only PPC, AFAIK.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 9:25:56 PM

Thanks for the tip on the Compact Flash adapter Bill,

I'd have preffered a Palm but posted to the "other" group following Nemo's
reply stating that it may have to be the Zaurus, and explaining the reasons
why.

A direct lead connection would be "neater" but the Card Adapter will
probably be the route I take due to cost.

I'm suprised about the USB Host problem on PDA's in general though. I'd
have
thought what I was trying to achieve was a popular requirement, especially
with
the growth in Wi-Fi availability giving fast access "on the move".

!