lost data on D: partition after XP reinstall...

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi everyones...thanks to read. I'm posting this message for a friend who
unfortunately can't write english. He lost his data on the D: partition
after reinstalling XP Pro. He's shure that he only formatted the C:
partition using the XP's installation CD, then installed Windows on the C: .
Now when he goes in My Computer, the D: drive appears but there's nothing in
it, and Windows says it isn't formatted and ask to format it (wich he answer
NO,of course). Any idea?...thanks for any reply.

--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

    Hi,

    Sounds like the partition entry is damaged. Possibly he originally set up
    the drive using drive overlay software? If so, reinstalling the overlay
    software may be a solution.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "KILOWATT" <kilowatt"nospam"@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Hi everyones...thanks to read. I'm posting this message for a friend who
    > unfortunately can't write english. He lost his data on the D: partition
    > after reinstalling XP Pro. He's shure that he only formatted the C:
    > partition using the XP's installation CD, then installed Windows on the C:
    > .
    > Now when he goes in My Computer, the D: drive appears but there's nothing
    > in
    > it, and Windows says it isn't formatted and ask to format it (wich he
    > answer
    > NO,of course). Any idea?...thanks for any reply.
    >
    > --
    > Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
    > Montréal Québec
    > PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or
    > omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
    > (If replying also by e-mail, remove
    > "no spam" from the adress.)

  2. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    There are programs which can be used to recover partitioned hard drive data.
    try to google and search for such programs.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Did he change the partition size when hee reinstalled XP on the C drive?

    "KILOWATT" <kilowatt"nospam"@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Hi everyones...thanks to read. I'm posting this message for a friend who
    > unfortunately can't write english. He lost his data on the D: partition
    > after reinstalling XP Pro. He's shure that he only formatted the C:
    > partition using the XP's installation CD, then installed Windows on the C:
    > .
    > Now when he goes in My Computer, the D: drive appears but there's nothing
    > in
    > it, and Windows says it isn't formatted and ask to format it (wich he
    > answer
    > NO,of course). Any idea?...thanks for any reply.
    >
    > --
    > Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
    > Montréal Québec
    > PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or
    > omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
    > (If replying also by e-mail, remove
    > "no spam" from the adress.)

  4. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.pcinspector.de/download.asp&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpci%2Bfilerecovery%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D
    Download this software, and give it a try. PCI filerecovery.
    bw..OJ

    "KILOWATT" <kilowatt"nospam"@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Hi everyones...thanks to read. I'm posting this message for a friend who
    > unfortunately can't write english. He lost his data on the D: partition
    > after reinstalling XP Pro. He's shure that he only formatted the C:
    > partition using the XP's installation CD, then installed Windows on the C:
    > .
    > Now when he goes in My Computer, the D: drive appears but there's nothing
    > in
    > it, and Windows says it isn't formatted and ask to format it (wich he
    > answer
    > NO,of course). Any idea?...thanks for any reply.
    >
    > --
    > Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
    > Montréal Québec
    > PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or
    > omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
    > (If replying also by e-mail, remove
    > "no spam" from the adress.)

  5. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Is he really sure he is looking at the right partition? It does get a
    little confusing sometime when drive letters are moved around.

    Clark

    "old jon" <ImNotIn@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.pcinspector.de/download.asp&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpci%2Bfilerecovery%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D
    > Download this software, and give it a try. PCI filerecovery.
    > bw..OJ
    >>
    > "KILOWATT" <kilowatt"nospam"@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi everyones...thanks to read. I'm posting this message for a friend who
    >> unfortunately can't write english. He lost his data on the D: partition
    >> after reinstalling XP Pro. He's shure that he only formatted the C:
    >> partition using the XP's installation CD, then installed Windows on the
    >> C: .
    >> Now when he goes in My Computer, the D: drive appears but there's nothing
    >> in
    >> it, and Windows says it isn't formatted and ask to format it (wich he
    >> answer
    >> NO,of course). Any idea?...thanks for any reply.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
    >> Montréal Québec
    >> PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or
    >> omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
    >> (If replying also by e-mail, remove
    >> "no spam" from the adress.)

    This may help:
    http://www.pcinspector.de/download.asp?language=1#file_recovery . It's free.

    Curt.

    KILOWATT" <kilowatt"nospam wrote:
    > Hi everyones...thanks to read. I'm posting this message for a friend
    > who unfortunately can't write english. He lost his data on the D:
    > partition after reinstalling XP Pro. He's shure that he only
    > formatted the C: partition using the XP's installation CD, then
    > installed Windows on the C: . Now when he goes in My Computer, the D:
    > drive appears but there's nothing in it, and Windows says it isn't
    > formatted and ask to format it (wich he answer NO,of course). Any
    > idea?...thanks for any reply.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Sorry for the late reply...my ISP's news server was down. Thanks for the
    replies. I'll get in touch with my friend tonight to see if he did resized
    the partitions and make him try the file recovery software.

    --
    Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
    Montréal Québec
    PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or
    omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
    (If replying also by e-mail, remove
    "no spam" from the adress.)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Of course Yiou are going to lose all data when You reinstall windows. What
    do You think re formant means??
    > Sorry for the late reply...my ISP's news server was down. Thanks for the
    > replies. I'll get in touch with my friend tonight to see if he did resized
    > the partitions and make him try the file recovery software.
    >
    > --
    > Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
    > Montréal Québec
    > PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or
    > omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
    > (If replying also by e-mail, remove
    > "no spam" from the adress.)

  9. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    You don't have a problem, but it could be spyware so format and reinstall.

    --

    "Instead of trying to bash me you should try to learn from me and
    archive my posts so you can better help people in the future. If you don't

    - pcbutts1.@thisoldtreehouse.com
    - pcbutts1.@seedsv.com

    --
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to resolve your
    problem.The software provides very useful functions:
    Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
    partition table, undelete partition, Fix boot sector,
    rebuild mbr,etc.

    First thing I recommend you download the demo version of
    Partition Table Doctor.( http://www.ptdd.com/download.htm )

    Run the program and select "Rebuild Partition Table",
    then choose "Interactive" mode.

    See more: http://www.ptdd.com/recoverylostpartition.htm
    http://www.ptdd.com/recoverdeletedpartition.htm
    http://www.ptdd.com/partition-recovery.htm
    http://www.ptdd.com
    --
    Good work, Good day.

    "KILOWATT" <kilowatt"nospam" wrote:

    > Hi everyones...thanks to read. I'm posting this message for a friend who
    > unfortunately can't write english. He lost his data on the D: partition
    > after reinstalling XP Pro. He's shure that he only formatted the C:
    > partition using the XP's installation CD, then installed Windows on the C: .
    > Now when he goes in My Computer, the D: drive appears but there's nothing in
    > it, and Windows says it isn't formatted and ask to format it (wich he answer
    > NO,of course). Any idea?...thanks for any reply.
    >
    > --
    > Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
    > Montréal Québec
    > PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or
    > omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
    > (If replying also by e-mail, remove
    > "no spam" from the adress.)

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    just re-install your data from the backups you made...you did create backups
    didn't you.....

    http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Partition Microsoft Windows XP