Do Q6600 run hot??

xplicid001

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
SYSTEM:
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775
MSI NX8800GTS 512M OC GeForce 8800GTS
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply - Retail

Well, i just checked my pc's vital in the bios after about an hour of installing drivers and updating the OS.

mobo 48 degrees with system fan at 1280 rpm per minute

cpu ***89*** degrees. Computer isnt over clocked at all. is this HOT? i mean this isnt even a full load. My mobo has a built in emergency shut off that you can set, and there are 5 priorities:

60 degrees
Disabled

now im running at 89 light load with the stock cpu cooler.... this concerns me. are my concerns warranted?

thanks for the help

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Woah, yeah that's very very hot, and abnormal.

Reinstall your Cooler immediately or risk permanent cpu damage. Make sure to clean of the old thermal paste with some rubbing alcohol and apply some new stuff and follow the instruction carefully.

AND make damned sure the cooler is clipped in all the way.

Hopefully that'll fix it. If not it's likely a bad chip, and you should get it replaced.

Re-seat the cooler - you haven't clipped it in properly

the proper way to do it in the first place - with motherboard in hand clip the hsf in BEFORE you install the motherboard into the case.

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Agreed that is way too hot. I'm suprised it is even running.

Mine idles between 34-40 degrees celcius. You've got a serious problem and it definately sounds like the HSF isn't attached properly.

xplicid001

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
how could it not be attached properly?

i mean how hard is it to 1 quarter turn a pin? its bolstered on there.

I will try that however, but i dont think i could mess something like that up

you'd think that but i get it every day of the week ;)

You are not supposed to turn the pins to install the heatsink. When the pins are properly oriented, you push them in to install. You rotate them a quarter turn to UNINSTALL them.

Orient the push pins so that the screwdriver slot points to the center of the heatsink. Then install the HSF by pushing on the pins. You should feel and hear a light snap. The fourth pin may be difficult to seat because the base mounting ring will be under a fair aount of tension from the other three pins.

apache is correct. You should install the HSF before you put the motherboard into the case. That way you can double check the HSF installation. You also have more room to work. He is also right about this being a very common problem.

The push pin mounting style is convenient, but I think that most of us do not particularly like it.

You should be able to reach 3 GHz with the stock HSF with decent temps.

For pros the cooling is a perfect design thats easy to install and work with etc, for Noobs, its a nightmare.

Down my way i get it all the time - they break the clips, not install them correctly and all sorts - some systems i had to use two clips to seat the cooling because they broke one or two installing it or removing it- actually works ok.

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
If you're are 100% the HSF is contacting properly with the cpu, then something is still stuffed. Have you tried different software at all to check the temperature? Maybe your bios is giving you a false reading or something?

I'm using a prog that's called Core Temp 0.97.1

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

It will show you what all 4 cores are running at. Give it a go and post your results.

I'm running the Q6600 G0 stepping on a 680i mobo. I don't have the 'stock' fan but I've got a pretty cheap cooler on it, and I idle at about 38c. At 100% load for 10-15 mins I max at 56c. For what it's worth, I'd think you'd be closer to where I'm at.

I'm not Overclocked either, as I can't get it stable with my XFX 680i LT SLI mobo.