Thermal paste on VRAM?

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
So today I am buying my new CPU cooler and I am gonna get some Artic 5 thermal paste for it, I know how to apply to the CPU.

However I bought that Akimbo cooler for my 8800GT and to be honest the red thermal tape stuff sucks, so I was gona replace it some AS5 as well. but a friend of mine said he thought you can't use that stuff on the video memory, and I don't want to screw this up (the **** tape is on the vram and soem of the little chips on the side of the card). So can i put AS5 on VRAM? I know it goes on the CPU (obviously) and the GPU. but my friend said it was liek diffrent for memory ro sumthing.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

I don't think it will be a problem. I have pulled coolers off video cards that cover the cpu and the memory chips and the thermal paste was on the gpu and the memory chips. I assume this is what you are talking about. Other heat sinks that are not part of the main gpu cooler are usually held on by a sticky stuff on them. Kinda like sticky tape. If there is a sticky tape on your memory chips you might want to clean that off before adding the thermal paste. Not sure if anyone else has had any experience with this type of cooler. ????????

So I take it you don't like the cooler????

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
no i luv the cooler, but the thermal tape for the mem and the lil chips at teh end of the card isnt very good, the paste for the GPU is fine.