nForce 780i SLI Mobo, 4 GB Corsair Dominator Ram, BSOD on Boot, Help!

nordiquefb

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I just built a new system with the following compontents

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9450
Mobo: XFX nForce 780i SLI Motherboard
RAM: 4 GB Corsair Dominator RAM (DDR2) (2X2GB sticks)
Video Card: EVGA nVidia 9800 GTX
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling 750W power supply

I know the issue is the memory. When I put in one of the 2GB sticks, it works fine. When I put in to, Windows just goes to BSOD and I crash.

Mobo link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813141005
Memory Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197

My RAM is faster than what the mobo supports, but I should be able to fix that my adjusting the FSB.

I read this comment on Newegg reviews of the product.

I got this board because it was rated for DDR2-1200 Mhz. However it states nowhere that if you have 4 sticks then you cannot run it at 1200 Mhz. I bought 4x1GB for 4GB total of the Patriot 9600 DDR2 to run it at 1200Mhz but that is no go. I can only run it at 1066Mhz but at the same time, I was able to tighten the timings on the ram to 5-4-4-6-16, instead of the 5-5-5-12-32 that it was suggested to run. So the memory is not as fast but it operates more quickly when tasked. Guess that is a toss up.

So its definitely a memory issue. I've updated my bios, installed all my drivers, and its still not working. It looks like I need to set my RAM's FSB lower-I tried setting it to 1066 mhz linked but that was a no go. Any ideas? Please help me!

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
What bios revision does the board have? The reason I ask is that this seems to be a common problem with the 780i boards, but it seems to have been addressed in some cases by a new revision of the bios. Check the XFX site for an updated bios.

Current ver P04 http://www.xfxforce.com/web/support/searchDriversProductCode.jspa#

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

Try this patch with 2 GB Ram and then shut down . put in 2 more GB and then restart. It should work. Let me know.

prizy

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
hey i just thought i'de let some one know how i was able to fix the exact same problem.
when i was installing vista ultimate 64-bit i was able to boot with 2gb of corsair, they were rated at 1066mhz but
since my nforce 750i ftw and also the 780i sli mobo officially supported 800mhz when i put in 2gb of my 1066mhz corsair it would revert them back to 800mhz speeds.
when i put in the other 2gb stick of corsair ram, it would BSOD.

what you have to do is go into the bios, change the ram speed from 800mhz to 1066mhz. then look on either the box or the back of your dominator ram
and see what voltage the ram is supposed to be set at. then change the voltage to your ram in the bois probaly from 1.9v to the rated voltage eg. mine was 2.1v so
i set it to that and it boots up fine and at the rated 1066mhz speed. also check the ram timings and make sure there set right aswell. i had to change mine
from 5-9-9-32 to 5-5-5-18 as thats what its factory rated at.

so recap....

1. change speed from 800 to ______ ur rams native speed. (in my case 800mhz to 1066mhz)
2.change timings from _ _ _ _ to _ _ _ _ ur rams native timings. (in my case 5 9 9 32 to 5-5-5-18)
3.change voltage from _._ to _._ur rams native voltage. (in my case 1.9v to 2.1)

pm me for help if you need.

mrdark489

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I am having this EXACT same problem only with my Evga 780i sli ftw mobo. I talked to evga twice, no luck, tried calling Gskill that was a waste. But everytime I change settings on my memory in the bios it'll just do a long beep and revert back to normal, so I can start windows. The one time I was able to get into windows it BSOD on me. I tried manually setting all the memory to native settings, with no luck, I'm officially lost.

godofanti

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Could you please tell me what fixed this problem? I have gone through a lot trying to fix the BSOD. Is there a file you were given?

G

after the first xfx 780i was returned the new one had the exact same bsod problems, and various other errors and hangs.

tried with 2 processors, 2 graphics cards and 4 different kinds of compatable ram.

i thaught the dominator memory was sli, mine is, and there are settings in the bios to automaticaly link all the speeds and stuff if your memory is sli compatable

even after voltage and timing adjusts, one chip of ram boots and 3 clean windows vista 32 installs there is the same problem

oh yeah and a bios update, still nothing

verdict, poor 780i chips

solution, buying a different one now. got any recomendations guys?

flasher4q

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
asus or evga I've used both for a long time.....model depends on the features that you want
or how much you're willing to spend...............