GPU for the new build. Need opinions & advice!

Read the thread before voting please!

• PNY GeForce 9600GT's in SLI; $222

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 512MB in Crossfire; $220

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MSI GeForce 8800GTS 512MB; $187

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Ajonesfan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
Ok everyone. Yet another graphics card poll. Very specific, not adding an "other" option because i've done my research enough to know there isnt anything else at this pricepoint to compete. For $50 more it might get better, but i dont want to spend $50 more. The options are between 9600GT's in SLI, 3850's in Crossfire, or a single 8800GTS 512.

Consider the following questions before voting:
1)Are either dual card options worth the $30 more?
2)Are the issues with dual card setups worth the hassle compared to the performance gain between those setups and the 8800GTS?
3)Given my current system spec plan (see below), which option works best? Consider OC options, MB's that OC other components well, but dont support SLI or Crossfire, etc...

Spec Plan: Q6600 with TRUE HS (plan to OC to 3.2-3.6), 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800 RAM. I guess thats all that matters to consider the questions above. I know a P5K is a great board that OC's well, but it doesnt support SLI, and also if i go dual cards i'll need a beefier PSU etc... Lots of things to consider i guess. I need help from people who have gone both ways. Which option is most beneficial?

PC will be used for any and everything, but the primary use will be games, obviously. Thanks for the help!

Ajonesfan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

Aside from prices dropping due to the new release, what would be the advantage for waiting? Im assuming these new cards coming out will be pretty expensive, and not in my budget...

So from the benches, the 3850's are out because a single 8800GTS benches better, so its between twin 9600s and the 8800GTS. Im just not sure if its worth the headache dealing with twin cards. The only MBs that support SLI are nForce boards which dont compete with the OC abilities of other boards. Also, if im going to OC, doing so to a single card is easier than to twin cards, especially considering power consumption... Im still torn.

This is very good advice. New dosent mean expensive infact ATI have made a point of saying they intend to keep the prices down.
If you cant wait then the 3850 is a non starter and while the 9600 in SLI does indeed give the best results in the benchmarks i have seen the complications you mentioned, PSU possable compatability problems would put me off.
The P5 is a good stable platform that you know performs and teaming that with a 8800GT would be the way i would go.
Personally i would look towards a wolfdale or a yorkfield rather than a Q6600 but thats just me.
Mactronix

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
^ As he said.

Just wait for the new Radeons to launch..I'm sure the wait would be worthwhile...... either the new cards would give a splendid performance for a great price(which I'm VERY sure they will), or the current GPUs would be very cheap then.............either ways its a really good thing.

TRENDING THREADS