Sign in with
Your question

DX 10.1, any1 getting excited over? I'm not:S

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2008 9:22:58 PM

So i saw what Dx 10.1 offers, and to honest I think they rushed DX10 way to fast and should've included it in the original. I'm not really going to cry over such small upgrades.

I think its just another way to push the market a bit. Remember the DX 10 Video cards they came too early I personally think.

I think the smart thing to say would be, if you want 10.1 wait until they use it in games, and buy a video card then. I mean it was really stupid how Ati put it in their cards, and by the time a game comes out, the frames won't be as blazing as they were when it was a new card.

I don't want to knock off ATI personally I'm just saying. I mean I didn't buy a DX 10 Card till Bioshock came out for PC. which was about 6 months later or so.

Lets see the 10.1 Features:

I don't Find this^ is worth the wait:S

I mean its cool to have it, but nothing to cry about:) 

Illumination and Shadows don't really matter to me, I usually like turning off the shadows in many games, except the ones that they actually count like Assasin's creed and F.E.A.R but I see no difference really in any other game:S

Anyways tell me your opinions, I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just curious if its a good investment for the time being:) 

My Verdict: No

More about : any1 excited

a c 271 U Graphics card
April 12, 2008 9:35:12 PM

Nah, I'm more excited about finding an E8400 for £130. :) 
a c 360 U Graphics card
April 12, 2008 9:37:12 PM

Not really especially since I'm gonna continue using Win XP until Windows 7 comes out either late next year or early 2010.
Related resources
April 12, 2008 9:38:32 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Nah, I'm more excited about finding an E8400 for £130. :) 

LoL i like that answer:p 
a c 271 U Graphics card
April 12, 2008 9:40:31 PM

It's all about the here and now. :) 
April 12, 2008 9:41:01 PM

Amen, but sometimes its good 2 think ahead;)
a c 271 U Graphics card
April 12, 2008 10:00:50 PM

Yes I can't argue with that but as you have already said, when DX10.1 games are released then I would look to whatever cards are available, but not before.

E8400 WOOT! :) 
April 12, 2008 10:09:27 PM

The fact that you don't think the gains are beneficial over DX10 is neither here nor there.
It all depends on when it's released. If MS release 10.1 tomorrow and games start getting effects specifically for it in 6 months then Nvidia would be looking rather stupid.
Until DX10 becomes the norm, I can't see 10.1 being introduced in the near future.
April 12, 2008 10:19:47 PM

Thats exactly my point. SO the Ati 10.1 were pretty pointless:) 
April 12, 2008 10:37:49 PM

Direct X10.1 sounds to add quite a few features to make it superior to Direct X10, however it'll be quite some time before we see these features implemented.
April 12, 2008 10:40:19 PM

Hey you have a dreamcast as well? :D  Awesome system:) 

Even the makes of the Dx 10 say they aren't anything major just minor updates, and it's backwards compatible.
April 12, 2008 10:53:51 PM

L1qu1d said:
Thats exactly my point. SO the Ati 10.1 were pretty pointless:) 

Well the R600 architecture seemed to be capable of DX10.1 all along, so adding it in for the HD3k series was a no brainer. I suspect these features would have been included in the initial release of DX10 had Nvidia been able to deliver :ange: 
April 12, 2008 10:56:29 PM

well Nvidia started on the process long before DX10.1 and didn't find out about till they were finished. And I think they don't see a point to it 2:) 
April 13, 2008 12:01:52 AM

I think liquid is in denial about something and his entire posts purpose is to somehow justify penis envy of some kind.

This entire topic is extremely pathetic. Whats wrong? Run out of other things to post about so decided to rehash a really old and pointless argument to make yourself feel better...

:lol:  :pt1cable: 
April 13, 2008 12:06:14 AM

Well, honestly i think this DX10 "mess" will only stop when they launch a version of backwards compatible.
Its not feasable to think, every M$ OS coming out, a new NOT backwards compatible DX will go out.

Hardware manufacturers and game developers would turn the OpenGL or PowerVR way pretty fast. not to mentions us the normal users.

As for me, once im finishing "dubbing" my VMwares and deciding if i keep dual booting (or not) ill try to use the less i can M$ products.

The DX scandal.
The DRM scandal.
The Premium Ready or Vista Ready scandal.
The Digitally Device Driver scandal.
A really Bad Kernel (thats no scandal).
The OOXML scandal (now this one is completely outrageous)

There are a loads more of them, i just cant remember right now. From now on Linux. For me that is. Sorry about the rant, but i think M$ has suprassed the limits of tolerance.
April 13, 2008 1:55:50 AM

sandmanwn said:
I think liquid is in denial about something and his entire posts purpose is to somehow justify penis envy of some kind.

This entire topic is extremely pathetic. Whats wrong? Run out of other things to post about so decided to rehash a really old and pointless argument to make yourself feel better...

:lol:  :pt1cable: 

Well personally I was asking people's opinions, but if you've got the biggest c*ck of us all how bout you explain instead of pissing all over every1? Justify your answer, you didn't help the topic at all. I don't see why this topic is any worse than others?

I think your the 1 in denial, coming head strong in a topic you didn't even answer squat. How about you go and read MaximumPC or if you ant I'll scan the article for you.

Second of all why you talking about my penis man? Some obsession with the C O C K S? I think your in the wrong forum then.

I didn't see any1 else type a rude comment like this, did you lose the censor in your brain?

K well I'll wait for vent...I'll assume your going to try denying your homosexuality and your answer in the next post.

Thanks to all who post their answers, if your going to vent on me, justify your answers and please don't talk about my c*ck its not cool, I'm pretty homophobic, thnx.

Peace
April 13, 2008 1:57:33 AM

radnor said:
Well, honestly i think this DX10 "mess" will only stop when they launch a version of backwards compatible.
Its not feasable to think, every M$ OS coming out, a new NOT backwards compatible DX will go out.

Hardware manufacturers and game developers would turn the OpenGL or PowerVR way pretty fast. not to mentions us the normal users.

I'd love to see more OpenGL games too. :p 
I'm ready for Linux, I just need my games. :( 

Lets hope Microsoft screws something up with DirectX then.
April 13, 2008 2:49:53 AM

DX 10 or DX 10.1, there may be no difference, so it really doesn't matter that much. Now at least. Either way as long as you don't make having DX10.1 the only reason you get a DX 10.1 capable card, there shouldn't be a problem. Its not like the ATI cards cost alot more or anything, so its not really like you are going to be paying additional for DX 10.1 ready.

To each his own.
April 13, 2008 3:09:02 AM

Heh, I thought it might be some sort of jealous envious deal. Figures...

Hey I only mentioned penis envy once. You on the other hand wrote several paragraphs on the subject and even branched into cocks and other colorful metaphors. You must be very disappointed with certain physical problems you must be having. Sorry I touched on such a sensitive topic for you. Really, in the end however, you only proved my point. A worthless post to get some crappy debate going over something that doesnt really matter so you can make yourself feel better about what is most likely a troubling concern over a purchase decision of yours.

What a pathetic display. If such small and trivial things bother you so much there are plenty of means to putting yourself out of your own misery.
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2008 3:16:41 AM

I was pretty disappointed by DX10, so I don't expect much from 10.1. Still, i'm pleased ATI is trying to innovate. Eventually it may pay off.
April 13, 2008 3:22:33 AM

Until you justify your answers, your posts are as pathetic as ever. Your complaining about my thoughts, how would you kno what I'm trying to point out. I created this topic, to see if some1 could convince me other wise, not flame on me about completely irrelevant stuff.

Please if you need to vent do it somewhere else, I'm trying to get a real answer.

But I promise if I ever need to make a pointless post or anythign I'll msg you directly.

Empty words and accusation are your specialty.

Done

EXT64 I see your point. Agreed Ati is trying to shine a roadway to encourage the new technology. Do you think it will have any effects?
April 13, 2008 4:12:42 AM

L1qu1d said:
Until you justify your answers, your posts are as pathetic as ever. Your complaining about my thoughts, how would you kno what I'm trying to point out. I created this topic, to see if some1 could convince me other wise, not flame on me about completely irrelevant stuff.

Please if you need to vent do it somewhere else, I'm trying to get a real answer.

A real answer to a post that is just an opinion

Good luck with that
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2008 4:30:25 AM

ATI hasnt done anything to lead the way. The way, DX10 was what the 2900XT was capable of. But, M$ changed the standard, because nVidia couldnt make a full DX10 card, so they omitted several abilities/standards so nVidia could still be in the game. The 2900 was fully capable, not leading the way. DX10.1 is just the rest of DX10, and unfortunately nVidia still is non-compliant
April 13, 2008 4:43:37 AM

turboflame said:
A real answer to a post that is just an opinion

Good luck with that

Opinions can be justified so don't give me the "Good luck" routine

I think blah because, blah blah... easy enough right?

Thank You

Yes jaydeeJohn that is a good point. I was hoping Nvidia was Dx 10.1 but meh they probably kno something we dont:S
April 13, 2008 5:00:11 AM

OP: "I don't think DX10.1 is worth it because I don't think it's cool enough. PROVE ME WRONG."

Someone else: "This is stupid"

OP:
L1qu1d said:
Well personally I was asking people's opinions, but if you've got the biggest c*ck of us all how bout you explain instead of pissing all over every1? Justify your answer, you didn't help the topic at all. I don't see why this topic is any worse than others?

I think your the 1 in denial, coming head strong in a topic you didn't even answer squat. How about you go and read MaximumPC or if you ant I'll scan the article for you.

Second of all why you talking about my penis man? Some obsession with the C O C K S? I think your in the wrong forum then.

I didn't see any1 else type a rude comment like this, did you lose the censor in your brain?

K well I'll wait for vent...I'll assume your going to try denying your homosexuality and your answer in the next post.

Thanks to all who post their answers, if your going to vent on me, justify your answers and please don't talk about my c*ck its not cool, I'm pretty homophobic, thnx.

Seriously, there's no point to this thread.
April 13, 2008 5:05:04 AM

moving on
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2008 5:22:02 AM

Apparently both ATI and M$ thought it was something deserving, since thats what M$ originally had, and ATI made. More eye candy is more eye candy
April 13, 2008 5:25:46 AM

i think if microsoft+intel+nvidia then we all will have the best product but i think would be at a ridiculous price since they will eventually wipe out AMD,VIA etc.
April 13, 2008 5:31:35 AM

also true.

How about OpenGl I remember reading that Windows Vista doesn't support it or doesn't handle it well. I might be wrong

Sorry thats a little off topic but I don't feel like re posting a topic. haha
April 13, 2008 6:07:47 AM

in ati tweak guide, they said that if you set into 2 pre rendering, its actually help fps. dunno in nvidia, but ill try & see the result in COH performance test.
April 13, 2008 2:24:26 PM

Vista doesnt support OpenGL ? that i didnt know. Good god, i should tweak my XP Vmware aswell.

More trouble.

PS: Dang: Crashed my linux again, Ati drivers sucks for Linux. Back to installing Ubuntu again. Although i was getting found of Red Hat. cba to try to fix it in the Konsole.
April 13, 2008 3:41:47 PM

radnor said:
Vista doesnt support OpenGL ? that i didnt know. Good god, i should tweak my XP Vmware aswell.

*quick fact check*
Quote:
Hardware-accelerated OpenGL is fully supported on Windows Vista with the Windows Aero compositing desktop user experience - just as with Direct3D.

http://www.opengl.org/pipeline/article/vol003_9/ :hello: 
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 13, 2008 5:18:00 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
ATI hasnt done anything to lead the way. The way, DX10 was what the 2900XT was capable of. But, M$ changed the standard, because nVidia couldnt make a full DX10 card, so they omitted several abilities/standards so nVidia could still be in the game. The 2900 was fully capable, not leading the way. DX10.1 is just the rest of DX10, and unfortunately nVidia still is non-compliant

Yep to be honest i just couldnt beleive this back when i first found out about it, but its the same old story, cant restrict the consumer base so we will screw someone else over so that our sales are ok. Thats the reason ATI had such a hard time competing. They made a card to the spec and Nvidia couldnt so MS changed the rules and ATI were left with a card that worked on a differant set of rules to the new ones.
Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2008 5:26:13 PM

And once again, heres the proof. M$ does this alot, the problem here is, ATI/AMD didnt really need it at the time , to happen to them like it did. But, ATI has 2 gens of DX10.1 out, and currently working on their 3rd. Link to the M$ quandry http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/03/03/optimi...
!