Stress Testing

bmilos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Why is Prime 95 the Holy Grail of stress testing?

If I can run another stress test without issue, can run all of my applications (digital editing, games, benchmarking, etc) without so much of a hiccup, yet get the BSoD on P95, why does that constitute an unstable OC?

marshmellow1991

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Its because Prime95 does non-real-world stress testing. it stresses your cpu WAY beyond what any application would do. Most applications wont find any cracks in your stability, but for the most part, Prime95`s job is to find the microscopic cranks in stability and utilize that

bmilos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
But if I dont have and instability in any apps, again, I pose the question 'why does that constitute an unstable OC?

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Just because your system isn't obviously acting up or crashing doesn't mean it's running fine. An unstable system can cause file corruption which will result in data loss and eventually problems with windows. Prime95 tests that the cpu is retuning the correct results so that data won't get corrupted.

You will eventually have crashes in other apps. They might not occur often, but they will occur. Stability doesn't mean the same for all. One crash a month on a workstation would barely be acceptable to me and crashes on servers are totally unacceptable. What's your tolerance to system crashes or application failures caused by a hardware fault?

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I have found that Orthos Stress Prime (torture test) is a bit better, I think is is based off of Prime95. I've found that some OCs will not pass Orthos while still passing Prime95. I have never had problems with any OC that is overnight Orthos stable.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
you'll probably have a system crash when you multi task at 100% load.
for example, i re-encode videos to h264 while surfing with a lot of browsing windows, it will crash sometimes if i disregard what prime95 sees.

anyways, you can leave it that way if the tasks and games you play don't max out your system.

"Stability" means different things to different people.

I also like Orthos better than Prime95. However, I have never been able to figure out how to run 2 instances to fully load a quad core CPU. My goal is a 24 hour run at what I regard as "acceptable" temperatures - 60 C.

bmilos: if you are happy with the way you stress test your hardware, don't change.