Sign in with
Your question

Are there any ATI manufacturers that offer a "Step-Up" program?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 12, 2008 11:50:58 PM

I know EVGA has a "Step-Up" program for Nvidia cards, where you can buy a card, send it in later with some cash, and get a new graphics card for trading in your old one and paying the difference. Are there any ATI manufacturers that offer a similar program? I'd really like to find one if possible, because I want to be able to "step-up" to an HD 4XXX from an HD 3XXX card once they are released. I posted a topic on GameFAQs.com, but I only got conflicting responses, so I figured I would ask Tom's instead. Somebody in my GameFAQs topic had mentioned that Sapphire has this program, but I could find no such thing on their web site. Thanks in advance for the help!

More about : ati manufacturers offer step program

April 13, 2008 1:51:12 AM

I did some searching and all I could find was this on the AMD website.
It looks like they don't support "trade up" on the latest models. Best advice would be to contact (e-mail sales support) AMD.

http://shop.ati.com/tradeup.asp
April 13, 2008 2:56:07 AM

Thanks for the help! I just sent ATI an email, and I guess we'll see how they reply!
Related resources
April 13, 2008 4:53:05 AM

Pretty sure no one does. Would be nice though wouldn't it?
April 13, 2008 5:46:33 AM

Yeah, seriously. That'd be very nice. Oh well... I guess if all else fails, I borrow the Radeon X300 from this PC, run this one on integrated, and then buy my HD 4XXX once it's released.
April 13, 2008 7:38:38 AM

I wish there was an ATI partner who traded up, because I got a 3870x2 in February two weeks before hearing that the 4870 and 4870x2 were due to arrive in June. I'd have waited to buy until April 1st and then traded up.

Not unhappy with my card, just that a 4870's expected to be as fast as a 3870x2 for under $300 and a 4870x2 should be amazing @ only $50 more than I paid ($449).

It's not a big loss for AMD/ATI vs. Nvidia. Isn't EVGA the only Nvidia partner with a trade up program?
April 13, 2008 8:41:01 AM

ATI, well AMD, offers a program like this themselves. But you only get $50 dollars for your current card which I am sure is resold as OEM or Open Box.
April 13, 2008 3:13:17 PM

Still no reply from ATI. Eh. At this point, I probably will just wait until the 4XXX cards are released to start building my PC, or I'll just have to find some alternate solution for a graphics card...
April 13, 2008 3:45:40 PM

no!no one does.because once they bought an amd product when they upgrade again they going to switch to the better nvidia and intel!because amd product is just rubbish!!!

AMD SUCKS!get a life!
April 13, 2008 4:03:01 PM

Notice how I posted this on the ATI forum? If you're such a big fan of Nvidia/Intel, then I don't think you should be here answering questions about ATI products.
April 13, 2008 4:03:49 PM

BFG just started a Step Up type of program as well, i was reading and its pretty similar to EVGA's
April 15, 2008 12:35:30 AM

Alright, so I just got an email back from ATI... saying that they can't help me with my request. Didn't give me a yes or no, but they gave me a phone number to call. I might call it.
April 15, 2008 1:15:48 AM

nerr said:
Notice how I posted this on the ATI forum? If you're such a big fan of Nvidia/Intel, then I don't think you should be here answering questions about ATI products.

its not im such a big fan of Intel or Nvidia,i use to use AMD and ATI cpu and card.but during the course of time and proved by many review and benchmark.the amd processor is no match for Intel's Core 2 CPU.and thats no need to mention AMD graphics card.some single GPU from Nvidia can beat dual gpu card from AMD/ATI.

i still remember the galory days when back in the AtI X1950 and the Athlon X2 time outrun the Nvidia GeForce 7900 and Pentium D.but look at it now.the new phenom at nearly 3ghz cant beat the much older Q6600 at stock 2.4Ghz.and the top single GPU AMD HD3870 is nowhere near the 9800GTX and it end up competing to the 9600GT which is only a mid range card from Nvidia.
April 15, 2008 9:55:02 AM

iluvgillgill said:
its not im such a big fan of Intel or Nvidia...

I don't care about your history, and it doesn't explain that post above in response to the OP's question.

Just ignorant on your part. :pfff: 
April 15, 2008 11:11:16 AM

i post response to the OP before its just that the above is reply to nerr question.if you cant see the quote i dont blame you!so i might just ignorant on your part!remember what goes around come around boi!!!grow up!
April 15, 2008 1:00:10 PM

This thread had nothing to do with brand is better.

Anyway, it would be nice, though I never understood how EVGA made money with trade up as I never really saw them sell them again. I guess they sell them, but to whom?
April 15, 2008 5:30:20 PM

iluvgillgill said:
i post response to the OP before its just that the above is reply to nerr question.if you cant see the quote i dont blame you!so i might just ignorant on your part!remember what goes around come around boi!!!grow up!

I saw the post above it, that was the one I was refering to.

And that last statement is as irrelevant as the last statement in that previous post too which had no place in this thread.

As for the growing up part, maybe a time-out will help you with that, M'kay? [:thegreatgrapeape:6]
April 15, 2008 10:41:00 PM

iluvgillgill said:

Ahem...

SHUT THE **** UP, YOU **** IDIOT.

Anyways, back on topic. As mentioned prior there doesn't appear to be any ATi manufacturers that have a trade-up program, besides the trade-up program directly on ATi's website. However that program is not very good (last I checked) as they only give you back $50.00 or something like that.

This puts me in an awkward position as well, because I just purchased a beautiful Asus Maximus X38 board to go along side my Q6600, but I can't decide if it's worth it for me to purchase a couple of 3870's to go in crossfire, or wait until the 4870's appear.

Tough decisions, tough decisions.
April 15, 2008 11:13:29 PM

I'm thinking I'll just wait for the 4870's to come out before I buy my graphics card. Before then, I'll use my Radeon X300. >_> It'll work.
April 16, 2008 3:39:58 AM

cliffro said:
BFG just started a Step Up type of program as well, i was reading and its pretty similar to EVGA's

Yeah thats the one. I was thinking there were two of them that did the step up for NV. I always forget about BFG.
April 16, 2008 4:07:02 AM

SpinachEater said:
Yeah thats the one. I was thinking there were two of them that did the step up for NV. I always forget about BFG.

sweet, if bfg etch justs tarted one, that means I might just be able to pick up there next generation of video cards!

I hope its something like evga's where its like 3 months or something like that.
April 16, 2008 4:10:53 AM

Kataklyzm, I'd just get a weaker card for now. The hype for the 4000 series is building and we won't know if they are worth it for a little longer.
April 16, 2008 5:14:46 AM

Kataklyzm said:

Anyways, back on topic. As mentioned prior there doesn't appear to be any ATi manufacturers that have a trade-up program, besides the trade-up program directly on ATi's website. However that program is not very good (last I checked) as they only give you back $50.00 or something like that.

I've been holding on to a Radeon 64 DDR to trade in with ATI, but everytime they have a new card in their program, it's something I can get cheaper at Newegg; even when I bought mostly "built by ATI" instead of partnered with ATI.

When I finally go CrossfireX with Deneb this time next year on an AM3 board, maybe I'll get a 4850 (Nordic Hardware reports the clocks as equal to the 3870x2). I do hope the hype for the 4xxx series is accurate. The 3850, 3870 and 3870x2 are good cards, though I wonder why bother with a 3850x2?
!