Q6600 overheated, resetting FSB?

moons_shadow

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Well I've been gone for a while happily enjoying my overclocked Q6600 for the past year when all of a sudden I've suffered my first overheat since I finally got the settings where I wanted them.

Here is the problem, I've checked CPUz since the overheat to see where everything is at. Now it says that my FSB is set to 266.7 MHz. What a second say I, it should be 390. The voltage is still where it was set at 1.424V though. So I go to my BIOS and according to the BIOS the FSB is still set to 390 as I wanted but it won't allow me to change it at all. According to both my BIOS and CPUz my system is currently running at 2.4GHz instead of 3.5.

So I know it is about time I cleaned out my watercooling system, but it seems like my Northbridge and RAM is getting unusually hot. According to Speedfan the AUX is constantly 119C even under idle window conditions.

Is the overheating due to the combination of a high voltage and a low FSB or is the lower FSB due to intel heat protection kicking on. How exactly do I get my system back to where it was?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
omg u russian hax0rs! >.<

um i recommend taking a look at that heatsink... sounds like it throttled itself to stop overheating

moons_shadow

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I'm fairly certain that it did throttle itself to stop overheating. The only problem is that the core voltage is still at 1.425 and I can't figure out how to UN throttle it. It allows me to turn on manual overclocking in the BIOS but I can't change any of the options.

If it helps I have a Asus PK5 Deluxe as my motherboard.

moons_shadow

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
After letting it sit for a while the temps have returned to normal. I'm not having a problem with it being constantly too hot. My problem is making alterations in the BIOS

When I go into the BIOS it will not let me alter the FSB setting. I allowed it to reset to the default 266 since that is what it is actually running at right now. However when I select MANUAL for my CPU settings and then select FSB and hit ENTER it should give me a short list of allowable FSB settings. Instead it does nothing. It will let me alter my voltages, voltage cutoffs, and everything else perfectly fine. Yet this one setting does not appear to be changable even though it should be.