Sign in with
Your question

Help with the Black Edition

Last response: in CPUs
May 2, 2008 5:23:14 PM

Im building a new pc on a budget and my work horse is going to be The AMD AM2 5000+ Black edition because of its overclockability and Price/Power ratio. I've been eying up the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe SLI mobo for $131, but sense this is a budget machine would I be able to get the same overclocking bang for my buck with say the Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 which rides in at $80-90? The rest of the build mainly consists of a 9600gt card because of its power/price: which concerns me because its a PCIe 2.0 card, even though its backward compatible with v1.0 should I consider a 790fx or alike chip set because of the performance gain from PCIe 2.0?
I know you can't SLI on the 700 series chip set, but my budget is $500-600 so SLI isn't an option and you can still run a single Nvidia card on the 700 series chip set.
Thank you for your help

More about : black edition

May 2, 2008 5:40:02 PM

First dont double post, its not nice.

Next, if you intend to overclock, dont skimp on the motherboard, its the base for your system, if you skimp there, you wont be able to achieve as high of a stable OC. Check for reviews on both boards and see if there has been success OCing with them.

PCI-E 2.0 vs 1.1: Dont worry about it. There still isn't a video card out there that can fill up the bandwidth from 1.1, so you wont have a problem.
May 2, 2008 5:43:13 PM

I can't comment on the mobo, but that's a very good price\performance processor and you'll get a good overclock on it.
Related resources
May 2, 2008 6:21:04 PM

I've had good experience with the motherboard. It's been very reliable and at the moment I'm actually missing a capacitor and it's still running fine! :D 
But I can't comment on the OCing side of it as I haven't OCed!
May 2, 2008 6:24:04 PM

You can actually buy a better system for your money at compusa for what you want to spend.....or get a referbished at compusa.....Your such on a tight budget that is your best bet.....just get a complete tower....Compusa was bought out by tigerdirect.......and it is your best choice due to finances
May 2, 2008 6:58:31 PM

jackieboy said:
You can actually buy a better system for your money at compusa for what you want to spend.....or get a referbished at compusa.....Your such on a tight budget that is your best bet.....just get a complete tower....Compusa was bought out by tigerdirect.......and it is your best choice due to finances

Yea, about that...

I wont say its not worth a look, but I kinda doubt you will be getting high quality components. TigerDirect is an OK e-tailer, but they have a real'used car salesman' feel to them. I have ordered from them in the past, and it went well, but I just have one of those feelings like Im gettin ripped off everytime I look at something there.
May 2, 2008 7:14:55 PM

B-unit makes a good point. Since/if you are going with an AMD platform do get a good motherboard. You will probably want to upgrade someday. Do look at this MB from Asus - http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=591&l4...

I'm not pushing Asus, but this is a mb that will upgrade later if you wanted too. It is around $200. It has a lot of features.
You will be able to get 3.2ghz+ out of that CPU.

I don't see a double post.
May 2, 2008 9:52:46 PM

jackieboy said:

Do you like CompUSA?
May 2, 2008 10:19:27 PM

I don't think you can get a better comp at compusa...the cheapest gaming comp they sell is probably at least $900...you get more performance when you do it yourself...non of those comps you'll find at compusa will have a 9600gt under the hood for under $500...
May 2, 2008 11:01:39 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Do you like CompUSA?

No I don't...really...They do offer good prices in the store now and you can get a lot of components in the store for the online prices...They do have online combo's with mobo and processor that will suit him.....I still suggest he looks there....Due to his budget this is a good recommendation...trust me....I've looked... And he can save a good amount of money by buying a combo from them for what he is looking for......even with a case......take a look at the combo deals and see what I mean..
May 2, 2008 11:04:19 PM

Compusa is Tigerdirect now.....so the prices are now good and they do have a lot of parts in store for online prices for any who want's to know. I even bought my system there for a better price than newegg.....yes....I said it...and I walked in the store at the new grand opening and took advantage of a grand opening sale.....so it is possible
May 3, 2008 3:43:02 PM

topper743 said:
B-unit makes a good point. Since/if you are going with an AMD platform do get a good motherboard. You will probably want to upgrade someday. Do look at this MB from Asus - http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=591&l4...

I'm not pushing Asus, but this is a mb that will upgrade later if you wanted too. It is around $200. It has a lot of features.
You will be able to get 3.2ghz+ out of that CPU.

I don't see a double post.

Sense this is a Crossfire Board shoudl I go with a 3870 GPU??
May 3, 2008 4:20:10 PM

Epic...you need to look at what I posted....its below your budget and forget the 5000...You can use some of your existing parts with new and make a new much better system within your price range...and that mobo that topper posted is way overrated...and too much money...and no you don't have to get a 3870....unless you want 2 to crossfire....just check out what I posted and do the math....its cheaper and better than what you originally wanted and you don't even have to overclock to get what you are looking for
May 3, 2008 6:16:46 PM

epic_pc, crossfire ready mb's will take any single vc. Crossfire is an ATI multi card function only just as SLI is Nvidia. So yes if you choose an AM2+ mb with a 790fx chipset and want a multi vc card setup you will need to get an ATI vc.

HD 3870 as low as $149
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

If you choose AMD insure you get a AM2+ mb and get a good one. Someday you might want to upgrade. If you read these forums you will many posts from people who go the cheapest route on componets and then complain that said item doesn't do everything they wanted or had problems later. Upper end mbs use upper end componet parts.

I can't speak for CompUSA but just about every etailer will assemble and test a system you order from them. They all do packaged systems with or without items you choose. You have complete flexibility in regards to what they will do for you.

Wow five posts for CompUSA in one thread so far that as got to be a record.

BTW the mb jackie is recommeding is $10 cheaper at Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and the CPU is $4 cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do agree that $200 is a lot for a mb. What do you get for that? Wifi /AP, good onboard sound, copper heatpipe cooling, raid, gigabit, PCIe 2.0, 790fx + durable standard + great overclocking. Asus has a simular MB without the wifi for around $190.
May 5, 2008 12:59:11 PM

topper743 said:
epic_pc, crossfire ready mb's will take any single vc. Crossfire is an ATI multi card function only just as SLI is Nvidia. So yes if you choose an AM2+ mb with a 790fx chipset and want a multi vc card setup you will need to get an ATI vc.

HD 3870 as low as $149

If you choose AMD insure you get a AM2+ mb and get a good one. Someday you might want to upgrade. If you read these forums you will many posts from people who go the cheapest route on componets and then complain that said item doesn't do everything they wanted or had problems later. Upper end mbs use upper end componet parts.

I can't speak for CompUSA but just about every etailer will assemble and test a system you order from them. They all do packaged systems with or without items you choose. You have complete flexibility in regards to what they will do for you.

Wow five posts for CompUSA in one thread so far that as got to be a record.

BTW the mb jackie is recommeding is $10 cheaper at Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and the CPU is $4 cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do agree that $200 is a lot for a mb. What do you get for that? Wifi /AP, good onboard sound, copper heatpipe cooling, raid, gigabit, PCIe 2.0, 790fx + durable standard + great overclocking. Asus has a simular MB without the wifi for around $190.

Topper a combo deal means its a better deal than purchasing individually.....and no motherboard is worth $200 hands down....most people don't even use the capabilitys or the features that some mobo manufactures have available...example the older Abit fatality boards have the same hardware and can overclock the same....it just has all the bells and whistles.....that's where mobo's manufactures make their money is by fooling people.....it's like buying a car with a dvd player in it.....they charge out the a$$ for it and if you don't actually use it.....its worthless....much like 2 ethernet's or better onboard sound.....which most use a sound card anyway.....and as for my comments about compusa..its tigerdirect....and the only benefit of shopping there is that you can walk in the store and walk out with your crap that your buying for almost the same price as buying it online and waiting for it to come in.....
May 5, 2008 1:24:54 PM

what would bel considered to be better bang for buck - 5000+BE or x2 5600+?
May 5, 2008 3:15:39 PM

jackieboy said:
Topper a combo deal means its a better deal than purchasing individually.....and no motherboard is worth $200 hands down....most people don't even use the capabilitys or the features that some mobo manufactures have available...example the older Abit fatality boards have the same hardware and can overclock the same....it just has all the bells and whistles.....that's where mobo's manufactures make their money is by fooling people.....it's like buying a car with a dvd player in it.....they charge out the a$$ for it and if you don't actually use it.....its worthless....much like 2 ethernet's or better onboard sound.....which most use a sound card anyway.....and as for my comments about compusa..its tigerdirect....and the only benefit of shopping there is that you can walk in the store and walk out with your crap that your buying for almost the same price as buying it online and waiting for it to come in.....

Yea if you live in one of the 5 cities where they opened brick and mortar locations...
May 5, 2008 3:30:37 PM

Thank you all, very sound advice. To answer some of your questions and reply to some of the advice: For the purchasing of my components I'm going to have to go with Tigerdirect for multipul reasons: 1. I received visa gift cards for my b-day so I need to have a etailer accept 2 forms of payment(newegg only accepts 1 :(  ) so I can now transfer those gift cards into tiger bucks gift cards, and use my checking account to follow them up. 2. Tigerdirect will price match newegg or a nationally publicized add.
Its not Like I want to by from Tiger...its just my only option with my payment issues.
As for the choice of Mobo, I whole heartedly agree with spending the money for the backbone of the computer. Im still not convinced on which one, but with the point of upgrade ability made by Topper and B-unit I'm leaning towards a 790fx board like the MSI K9A2 Platinum for around $150. The Asus MoBo for $180 is alittle out of my range for my build and I dont want to skimp on my Graphics Card. I know there is now way Im ever going to Quad GPU this system so...I dont know what Im going to do.
As for ra1d's question 5000+BE would be a better choice in my opinion because of the over clocking potential...you can overclock the little sucker to almost match an AMD 6400.
May 5, 2008 4:49:44 PM

That msi board is a good board...you will like it but I still think you would be better off with the 6000 at least due to the more you overclock something the more life you take away from it too......just remember that.....I'm talking from experience with computer since before the commodore 64 days
May 5, 2008 5:00:09 PM

A 6000 CPU?
May 5, 2008 9:41:22 PM

1816879,21,57757 said:
That msi board is a good board...you will like it but I still think you would be better off with the 6000 at least due to the more you overclock something the more life you take away from it too......just remember that.....I'm talking from experience with computer since before the commodore 64 days[/quotemsg]

LOL... We'll all remember that, even write it down so we don't ever forget it.

Epic it seem as though given your situation for funds you have a good desicion on parts for your new system. The 5000+be is a good cpu I have it myself. Good luck with the build.
May 5, 2008 10:55:39 PM

LOL....topper.....YOU should......as for guys like me don't really post on these forums much.....my hobby's are boating and riding a motorcycle...not sitting in front of a computer all the time....I'm on vacation for the moment. That's why I have time now....
!