Installed extra SATA Drive; now computer won't boot

tpinson

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I've been having a very strange problem...I bought a new SATA hard drive today and installed it. When I plugged everything in and turned the computer back on, the fans started spinning and power lights went on, but the computer didn't beep nor boot up. The light on the monitor remained yellow where it would usually turn green. Since I already had 2 other drives plugged in, I thought it might be a power issue so I tried unplugging the drive, but...still won't boot up. I've tried all possible combinations of HDs plugged in/not plugged in and nothing has changed. I'm running a P4 3 ghz processor with 2 gigs of ram on an Asus motherboard. Any ideas?

when you rummaged around the case something else must have come loose

the issue with old computers (2+ years) is you start getting dry joints - things dont make full contact with each other (eg video cards, ram etc) - reseat all your ram and video card and see what that does for you

Basic troubleshooting technique: If you do something, and it doesn't work, stop and back up. Don't just automatically assume that you have power problems.

Go back to your original configuration. If the system still doesn't work, odds are that you have a loose cable somewhere.

tpinson

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I tried my original configuration - still didn't work. Apache: that was my thought, but I've checked the RAM and Video cards. I'm probably going to have a friend check the case later to get a 2nd opinion because I can't find anything that is loose. Is there anything else that could be loose that might be causing the problems I reported?

le13: Power supply is relatively new...I think I purchased it a few months ago. it's an Antec Earthwatts 500.

Thanks for the replies!

jazzman_97

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Did you find a solution? The same thing happened to me, I had 2 IDE disks, bought a new 500Gig SATA-II disk. Plugged it in and exactly the same thing, unplugged it and the same thing i.e. PC wouldn't boot?

Jase