Is Graphic Display card in PCI-E x 8 available

Hi all Buddies,

I read an question in Hong Kong hardware forum asking if a mainboard only with PCI-E x 8 expansion slot can use the PCI-E x 16 display card. As I know the say "PCI-E x 8" can be in either mechanically actual PCI-E x 8 slot or the PCI-E x 16 slot with band width only in x 8. I know there are some special workstation / server board only with PCI-E x 8 (mechanical dimension), to my best understanding that there is only display card in PCI-E x 1 or PCI-E x 4 other than PCI-E x 16 but I seldom hear display card in PCI-E x 8.

Is there anybody know if there any display card in actual PCI-E x 8 slot dimension available in market?

Andy
6 answers Last reply
More about graphic display card available
  1. Yes, there are many motherboards that have a 8x for their sli/cf setups, and even a few with a single 8x. You dont want 8x, but if you have a gpu thats 8x, its a agp. If your motherboard is limited to 8x, theres very few cards that take a huge advantage of 16x anyways, so your performance would be less at 8x, but not drastically. Currently, all PCI cards are 16x, and like I said, in order for a card to be 8x, its a agp
  2. With PCI-E being a serial connection you just keep on adding lanes for data to make more X.

Since i am unaware of any x8 PCI-E cards(this answers the question), you have 2(well 3 if you want) choices.

1. Use a PCI-E x1 card, its not fast but will work well enough for most workstation use.

2. Carfully cut the end out of the slot(dont touch metal). If you have clearance not to touch anything a PCI-E X16 card will run with those extra connectors out in the open. It will just run at x8 since only 8 lanes will be making contact. Many motherboards have the x4 slots this way for that reason.

x4 slot with the back open for a x16 card to fit...other boards have some this too. Cutting an 8x slot can be dangerous, but sometimes you have no choice

3. Some have cut the card to fit, this works but is a pain the the ass....
  3. nukemaster said:
    With PCI-E being a serial connection you just keep on adding lanes for data to make more X.

Since i am unaware of any x8 PCI-E cards(this answers the question), you have 2(well 3 if you want) choices.

1. Use a PCI-E x1 card, its not fast but will work well enough for most workstation use.

2. Carfully cut the end out of the slot(dont touch metal). If you have clearance not to touch anything a PCI-E X16 card will run with those extra connectors out in the open. It will just run at x8 since only 8 lanes will be making contact. Many motherboards have the x4 slots this way for that reason.

x4 slot with the back open for a x16 card to fit...other boards have some this too. Cutting an 8x slot can be dangerous, but sometimes you have no choice
    http://www.ixbt.com/short/images/news113585_006.jpg

3. Some have cut the card to fit, this works but is a pain the the ass....

Thanks for Nukemaster that's what I am looking for.

My points of view is that the first choice either use PCI-E x 1 or PCI-E x 4 graphic cards are good painless for beginner but the graphic cards in PCI-E x 1 or PCI-E x 4 are generally for workstation only not good for gaming, if the beginner is looking for gaming it would be unsatified.

Choice 2 and 3 would be painful for beginner especially the choice 3; I guess the choice 3 is even hard for advanced user.

If am also considering the choice 4: an adaptor for PCI-E x 8 to PCI-E x 16 but that would raised the card level to minimum half height and that would limited the beginner to select the low profile graphic card that is normally not excellent in gaming performance or need some modification on the computer case that is hard for beginner also; however such adaptor normally is unbranded so maybe with inferior quality.
  4. Is the adapter in question a riser with a 90 degree bend? or did you find one thats still straight?

Link me up
  5. Here is the adaptor I found which is still straight, I think 90 degree bended would be better for installation.
    "http://img.ruten.com.tw/s2/f/d3/d6/11070207606742_387.jpg"
  6. My only worry about the straight adapter is the fact that you are going to put the weight of your video card on it(so weight in the adapter and board. 2 points of failure)...some of the newer ones can get heavy...

What board is this going to be used on?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics Displays