sinthrax

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
I have all the hardware ordered. I want Vista 64. I cant find a retail copy at any store in my area. I was on microsofts site and you can put in your code and they will ship you a DVD. From what I understand this is suppose to upgrade your vista to a 64 bit version? Anyone know if this is the way it works or if it does at all? Would I be better to just order a home premium 64 version from the start off the internet? I want to know because it would be bad to pay for Vista then have to buy it all over again to get the 64 bit version. Thanks.

Sin

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
This is how it works:

Microsoft sells OEM's of both vista 32x and 64x.
They sell retail's of 32x only.
If you a own a copy of vista RETAIL 32x, and want to upgrade to 64x, M$ will send you a copy of 64x free.
But if you own a copy of vista OEM 32x, you are not eligible to upgrade to vista 64x. You need to but a whole new copy.
Hope this clears things up a little bit.

Not quite. You can order a copy of the upgrade version which is 32 bit. This is considered "retail" Microsoft will then ship you a 64 bit dvd for a $10 handling charge. As far as I can tell, each vista disk has all versions on it. They are differentiated by the product code only. There is a simple legitimate two step procedure to install an upgrade version, even though you do not have a predecessor os. This is necessary, for instance, to upgrade from a 32 bit os to a 64 bit os. I have seen vista home premium upgrade on sale at Costco for $85. I think this is much better than the oem versions.

I have one 64 bit dvd, and used this procedure with the update version on two different machines.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
You can get the upgrade disk from MS for free and $7.00 shipping. I think its a glitch in the system but I got 32bit and 64bit from them this way. Each one has all the versions on it. You can evaluate for 30 days then you can activate and buy your product key.

You could download it from all over and buy the key from MS.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
The key works for both (x86 & 64), get a copy of the media you need and your done. I would just torrent the image of media myself just make sure it isn't a hacked version and use your purchased key. The other option is order the OEM version for about half the price. If you're a student you can also find some huge discounts at the school bookstore.