Cannot go on line with Explorer

Irquomai

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I have an HP laptop and cannot connect wirelessly at home. Elsewhere i can. My cable modem is followed by a linksys Wrt54gs, and my computer says i am connected with an excellent signal. I have repaired the connection, upgraded the firmware in the router, checked settings as best I know how, buy each time i try to connect to the internet, I get the message "Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage" no matter what webpage i try to open. Does anyone know how to remedy this?

G

Turn off all wireless security until you get a reliable connection. Check that the router and wireless adapter are both set to same wireless mode (usually b&g but it may be called mixed mode).

As it's cable, also make sure the modem and router are speakingm to each other -- doubtless you've tried rebooting both, so it may be time to speak to your ISP about settings.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Another thing to try, click run in the start menu, and type in cmd and press enter on your keyboard. When the window opens, it will be black background and white type, type "ping yahoo.com", or any abitrary site. It should tell you if there is any packet loss or not. If there's not, then you've got a problem with your settings. Also, check and make sure that IE is not operating in offline mode. Another test, you can try installing firefox and see if that allows you to surf, if so, it must be an issue with IE.