Sign in with
Your question

New system hard drive advice needed

Last response: in Storage
May 26, 2009 10:10:05 PM

I am building a new system but I am up in the air as for as CPU MB combo. I am currently putting together all the other hardware. What I plan to do ultimately is run 3 hard drives actively, one with OS and all installed programs, one with all data, and one to back up the data files to. I also would like to make a copy of the OS/Programs disk leave it in the case but not connected until a problem is encountered that might require a clean OS system. I then can run virus scan on all other discs to clean them. I am going to run Windows XP for now and plan to go to Win7 once a service pack is out. Does this stratedy sound good? Also what disksizes should I go with? I was planning on 4 500 Gig of the same brand and type for simplicity sake, but 1 TB are getting cheaper eventhough I don't think I would ever use 2 TBs between the OS, all programs, and data. Would there be any advantage to smaller drives like 320's for the OS/Program disks?

Thanks for any assistance.
May 27, 2009 5:34:18 AM

^ Hi...It seems still you havent come to a conclusion on the CPU and Mobo...haha
Dont think too much...just have a fixed budget and get the config which comes within that...
and as for you question on HDDs, going with 4 500GB HDDs is fine but the OS, apps, etc wont use that much space...
So you can try the 320 GB/ 250GB for OS...

320GB for OS, apps
640GB for data
1TB for Backup...

But your idea of having a OS and programs backup is good too...
May 27, 2009 11:41:05 AM

gkay09 said:
^ Hi...It seems still you havent come to a conclusion on the CPU and Mobo...haha
Dont think too much...just have a fixed budget and get the config which comes within that...
and as for you question on HDDs, going with 4 500GB HDDs is fine but the OS, apps, etc wont use that much space...
So you can try the 320 GB/ 250GB for OS...

320GB for OS, apps
640GB for data
1TB for Backup...

But your idea of having a OS and programs backup is good too...

I know, my indecision on the CPU MB mainly because I haven't landed on a budget yet. Its all a function of time. The longer I wait the more I can afford. Also I have a lot of curiosity about what prices will do.
Is there an advantage to going with a smaller drive for the OS and apps? Well besided the $10-20?
May 27, 2009 11:59:29 AM

Hmm...actually not much...mayb none...
!