ADVISE NEEDED ON HTPC!!!

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Good Afternoon,
I really need some advise on an HTPC build.
Currently I'm sicking tired of moving my PC up and down to watch DIVX movies etc.
And last night I spend 2 hours encoding a DVD and burning it to watch it.
I'm very annoyed by the fact I just can't do any normal stuff on DVD-players etc.
So I told my dad I was planning to build an HTPC.

Anyway,
I need some advise.
I've seen a very nice case : Antec Fusion 430 Black (W. PS.)
Unfortunately only a Micro ATX motherboard will fit in that case, I do not have anything against Micro-ATX, I'm just not familerized with them. This HTPC will just be used for watching DVD's, DIVX movies, Music.
We have a amplifier and all that stuff downstairs so I wonder if this thing could fit in with the rest of the equipment downstairs. (How do I get sound out of that thing for movies etc, (want to plug it in the amplifier))

Furthermore,
I have no idea what mobo ram processor etc needs to be used for it. I guess Intel Duo core would be enough.
It needs to be pretty low budget anyway, but I want an onboard videocard that can play my DVD's video's etc. Or maybe put a low budget videocard in it (Don't know what).

Also,
I have heard about the AMD 780G chipset and seems to fit my thoughts, but I don't think the MOBO is Micro-ATX. Anyway that doesn't care so much. As long as it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.
Storage for this thing should be sufficient so I was thinking about 500GB samsung Spinpoint F1

Last but not least,
I need some advise overall and if it would be wise to do this. I'm going to put it together myself and let it run downstairs for my parents.
I will be using HDMI probably since our TV is a 43" Widescreen plasma Panasonic Viesta

Kind Regards and thanks in advance,
Kevin

List:
PSU:Antec Earthwatts 430 (included with case)
CASE: Antec Fusion 430 Silver http://www.alternate.nl/html/productDetails.html?artno=TQXAX7 159 euro
CPU: AMD 5000+ BE http://www.alternate.nl/html/productDetails.html?baseId=4278&artno=heea68 79 euro
MOBO: GigaByte MA78GM-S2H http://www.alternate.nl/html/productDetails.html?artno=GEIG09 75 euro
RAM: 2 gig DDR 2 800? perhaps http://www.alternate.nl/html/productDetails.html?artno=IBIE8P 42 euro
GPU: Integrated
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 90 euro http://www.alternate.nl/html/productDetails.html?baseId=3908&artno=A9BU17
DVD: LiteOn LH 20A1S http://www.alternate.nl/html/productDetails.html?artno=CEBL56 25 euro

TOTAL <500

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Definitely get a 780G motherboard. They are the perfect chipset for an HTPC. Put any dual core AM2 chip in it (can't do Intel with the 780g chipset). The motherboard has an HDMI out, with sound, so it will be perfect for hooking up to high def tv. Look at the Western Digital 640gb hard drive on newegg, it's $120, otherwise any large hard drive from a reputable company will get the job done. If you got the htpc hooked up to a local network you won't even need to store anything on it, you can just play files off you other computers. To save some more money you can use a linux distro such as fedora or ubuntu. You'll have to make sure to download the right repositories to play your media files, but there are plenty of sites that will tell you how. You should get a wireless keyboard and mouse too, so you don't have sit right next to the pc when you want to change files or pause or whatever else.

Another vote for a 780G mATX motherboard (preferably the Gigabyte 780G). Since you mentioned encoding video, maybe you should consider getting a... Phenom /gasp! But seriously, a quad would really cut down encoding times.

The Antec Fusion is an excellent HTPC case... good choice there.

A few questions:

What's your budget?
Are you planning on recording TV?
Will you be connecting to a A/V reciever? I so: optical, coaxial, or analog hookups?

I highly recommend Vista Premium for your Media Center front end. MS got it right on that one. If the budget is too tight then there are linux alternatives.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Definitely 780G + [Phenom 9100e/5000+ BE/4850e]

I have an Antec NSK2480 and I absolutely love it. It's the exact same case as the fusion without the front panel with IR and the screen. Definitely the way to go. I bought it from the Antec site through their B-stock closeouts without a PSU for like $25, and it was not a scratch and dent thing, either, it still had factory packaging and everything and it allows me to buy the modular power supply that I want (nothing against the Earthwatts with the exception of that it's not modular).

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

You might wanna consider the mini system. http://minipc.aopen.com/Global/spec.htm

Or buy a $75 to 100 used computer with Vista Premium minimum requirements make sure you have over 512 MB of ram and install ATI HD 650 TV wonder if recording TV programs required.

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
@RWpritchett
Budget can be expanded ;) taking it to a reasonable 600 US or 600 EURO (live in holland)

No not recording TV, will be used to watch DVD's listen music, Download Torrents... watching DIVX video... encoding some, but it will be put downstairs so I don't have any speedrush for encoding ;) i'll encode it here on my Q6600 and transfer it by network or USB, since we've got wireless all over the place.

No, no AV reciever :)

I know this is illegal anyway, but I'll use torrents to download Windows XP or media center.. not too fond of vista , but media center should be ok :) i never tried it, neither know how it works. But i'll guess i'll found out soon enough.

Anyway I think i'll stick with the ANTEC case, seems v.nice and fits perfectly with the rest of the equipment.

And thank god that 780G is mATX!!! Love you folks out here!
Gigabyte is a well trusted brand for motherboards, so I think I might search on that one. HDMI onboard is well good! Thanks for pointing that out.

Anyway no encoding or just little encoding with this PC, So I think the X2 5000+ BE will be good ? but it's fanless right, so I need to buy a seperate fan for it.

@ san pedro
thanks for pointing wireless keyboard and mouse! Nearly forgot that part!

Anyway to save money, I think the onboard videocard will be suffiecent to play little games on TV and so on. The TV is full HD so i'll be kickin it.

Anyway i'll look up that gigabyte mobo and update everything a bit. Please read my questions here up above. Greatly appreciated if you put your oppinion in here and tell me about the Mobo and CPU (never worked with AMD mobos).

@kyle
Makes no difference for me :) with a modular PSU ;) ill find a way to tie the cables to get better airflow but the case has 2 120mm fans so it should cool well.

@ MOBO
i also heard the onboard video card overclocks like a mad cow?? and I will do some moderate overclocking with this chip if it runs cool enough. The 780G is able to do that right?

Also what cooler for the 5000+ BE ? dont have that much left going for the 500 euro's
Thanks again for your input. Hoping to hear more from you guys :D
Much thanks,
Kevin

If you decide to go with the 5000+ BE, I recommend the Scythe Mini Ninja for the HSF. It's made for HTPC use (low profile). Plus, with the Antec Fusion case, you can run it passive because there is a 120mm case fan right next to it. Here's a pic from a review showing the Mini Ninja in an Antec Fusion:

minininja-fusion1.jpg

I'm using it in my HTPC and it works very good.

To get you started here's a suggested list:

Antec Black Aluminum Veris Fusion Black 430 Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail $170
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $100
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor Model ADO5000DSWOF - Retail $95
Scythe SCMNJ-1000 80mm Sleeve "NINJA MINI" CPU Cooler - Retail $35
SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model T800UX2GC4 - Retail $39
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $130
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S OEM BK - OEM $30
Moneual Lab 2.4GHz RF Wireless Computer Keyboard, Model: MK700 $28
Microsoft MCE Remote Control for Windows XP MCE $30

That's ~$657 without an operating system (add another $120 for XP MCE)

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
ill get Media center with torrents anyway :)

anyway whats the big difference with WD caviar HD's and Samsung spinpoint? which are better ? i think 640GB will be overkill but it looks very tempting though ;)

EDIT: samsungs are cheaper over here, and the WD's are 100+ euros + temporarily unavailable, Samsung 750GB for 94 euro F1 series

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
radium don't bother downloading windows, google mythbuntu. I've found that the two linux OSs that I have used on my HTPC work really great once you figure out how/what to install. Installing from the command is actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Also, kubuntu found and connected to my windows network with no work at all.

Another possible HD is Seagate. That's what I'm using for my HTPC build. I'm also waiting for the 9100e/9150e because it is supposed to help the 780G integrated a lot. I have seen the 9100e listed on a couple of sites as expected on the 11th, but the price they list is WAY too high. If they don't drop it I'll probably go for the 4850e (due on the 15th). Anandtech is supposed to have a 780G comparison and in depth review out soon too.

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Hm ok, I'll think i'll go with the Samsung spinpoint series. When I got everything ordered. I will post back here again so be sure to check it out. :) Pic's will be coming aswell!
Thanks a bunch guys :)