exitwound

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Hey folks.
I posted a couple weeks back about a problem i was having with a new build. It turned out to be a bad motherboard. I got it RMA'd and I'm happy to report everything is running like a champ. I want to thank all those that replied and helped me out. Now on to my question...
I currently have XP installed on the new rig and i realized very early on in the build process that xp has a freaking hissy fit if you try to run setup with 4gb of ram installed (it wouldn't even install until i took 2gb out). As a result i have 2gb sitting in the packaging. Anyway I'm about to install Vista64 (on a separate HD as opposed to a dual boot on the same HD) and i know that this OS, unlike xp, will handle 4gb of ram. My question is this, if, after installing Vista, i add the other 2gb of ram will this cause xp to become unstable or unbootable or will it simply not use/recognize all of it? I really want to have an xp install available to me but i also want to be able to make use of all the ram i have for vista.

exitwound

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
p.s.just so nobody gets upset, I did google this subject and did a little research but i saw multiple conflicting answers so really i just ended up less sure. Came here because i tend to trust the answers i get from these forums.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Hey I just upgraded my pc to 4gb (from 2) and installed Vista on a new HD yeterday. The only difference is that I had Windows Xp pro 64 and the extra 2gb of ram didn't give it any problems. After installing all the updates, especially service pack 1 and directx 9, I was able to use all my programs that were installed to XP (also had to transfer settings folders for a few programs), and now I don't know if I will even use xp any more.

I wonder if you have a bad stick of ram in the second set. Many people were able to have 4gb of ram physically installed even though windows woudln't recognize it all.

exitwound

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
could be a bad stick of ram. i wondered if that might be an issue. i think that if i get vista up and running and most of my apps work i probably won't use xp that much. i think i will RMA the 2gb i don't have installed and see what happens. if the 32bit version of xp doesn't like 4gb after i know all my sticks are good i will either go vista only or i'll think about the 64bit xp as another option. thanks

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Make sure to update the bios and XP to SP2, check the motherboard manual if it can handle 4 sticks of ram at the given speed.

Some motherboard will switch to lower speed if use 4 sticks of ram.

Windows XP will not recognise 4gig but will work ok.

joex444

Distinguished
You don't have a problem with XP, end of story.

I have 6GB RAM, and just got a couple more drives to make a 2 drive RAID1 for OS (Vista 64 / XP 32 dual boot) and use the 4x320GB as RAID5 for a storage array.

Anyways, I installed XP clean a couple days ago with 6GB installed (at 980MHz). It's perfectly fine, and reports 3.25GB.

I'm assuming your XP disc is already slipstreamed to SP2, but I'm not sure that matters. Try it if you are using an RTM disc.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
You could always try replacing your known good memory with the extra sticks and see what happens. If you have problems when you do that then you got bad RaM.

exitwound

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah i tried swapping the ram and it looks like i just got a bad stick. Time to RMA. My mobo can handle either 8 or 16gb, don't recall at the moment but i know 4 won't be a problem. Also joex is correct, the XP install already has SP2 on the disk so that isn't an issue. I should be getting the new sticks in about a week. in the meantime i am going to go ahead and install vista on my raptor. I assume that Vista has the sata drivers so i won't encounter the problems i had with xp, correct?