Which 8800GT 512MB would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krane78

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Hello, I am trying to decide between 2 different makes of the 8800GT 512MB.

Gigabyte - $222 http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2720

GF 8800GT 512MB DDR3 700MHZ PCIe x16/ NVIDIA/ 512 MB/ DDR3/ 256 Bit/ GPU-Takt: 700 MHz/ Speichertakt: 1900 MHz/ Anschlüsse: Dual Dual-Link DVI-I HDTV-Out, Game: NeverWinterNight2, PCI-E 2.0 DX10, Zalman Lüfter/ Kühlung: aktiv/ Verpackung: Retail Win 98/2

Asus - $243 http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=442&l4=0&model=1918&modelmenu=1

EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M PCIe x16/ NVIDIA/ GeForce 8800GT/ 512 MB/ DDR3/ 256 Bit/ GPU-Takt: 600 MHz/ Speichertakt: 1800 MHz/ Anschlüsse: HDTV-Out, 2x DVI/ Features: OpenGL, HDCP, DirectX10/ Kühlung: aktiv/ Verpackung: Retail MPF ML

Which card in your opinion will perform better? The gigabyte seems to be OC'd from the description from the site I would be buying it from. By buying pre OC'd does that enable the card to reach speeds unatainable by the Asus? Any reason to pick one over the other on specs alone? Thanks for your help!

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Neither. Go with EVGA. Best warranty out there. You can overclock, and add an after market cooler without voiding the warranty. Heck if you fry your card due to overclocking, EVGA will still replace it. I have a Giga-Byte only because I was too impatient for the EVGA's to come back in stock back in December. I regret that because Gigabyte does not warrant overclocking or adding an after market cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318

http://www.evga.com/support/lifetime/

krane78

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Thank you for replying. I live in Switzerland and newegg isn't an option for me. I would also go with an EVGA but that card is $295 swiss francs. The swiss franc is even stronger than the dollar at the moment so that card is more than $100 more here. My 2 options are the cards I listed above. I was more questioning which of these 2 brands would be best. Would there be a reason to OC the gigabyte card since it is already OC'd? Thanks again.

Ajonesfan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
At that price why wouldnt you get the 8800GTS 512? The EVGA GTS was on sale for $199 a few weeks back... The MSI version is only $187 right now. Correct me if im wrong but isnt the GTS better than the GT, especially when it is the same price, if not cheaper?

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Oh ok, I didn't know Newegg wasn't available. Although I have had no problems with my Gigabyte, I can't find any Information on their warranty. I think you would be better off with the Asus since Their warranty is good for three years.

krane78

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Thank you for your reply Ajonesfan. I live in switzerland. The prices here are for the most part nothing similiar to the US. The cheapest 8800GTS 512MB card I can get here is the PNY for $296. The EVGA 8800GTS 512MB isn't even available to be purchased. And this is looking at around 30+ companies.

So again, unfortunately my options are limited to the 2 cards referenced in my original post. Can anyone shed some light onto those 2 cards specifically to help me out?

Ajonesfan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I guess i was typing my reply as you were posting that next thread. Didnt see it before i make the comment. Good luck!

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
That Gigabyte looks cool and it seems to come with a better cooler than the reference design. I would jump on that one. Cards are more resistant to overclocking today then they were in the past so there is not much need of worry when OCing GFX, unless using voltmod.

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Gigabyte has a much better cooler (zalman) and a very nice stock oc, i doubt you could push it much more 30mhz maybe and a company really doesn't know when you overclock a card. Gigabyte is a good company and it also comes with a 3yr warranty. Choosing asus when it comes to a company is a good idea but gigabyte clearly has the superior product at a lower price.

krane78

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
amd_fanboi: LOL it's alright. I ended up taking yours and others advice and went with the Gigabyte. I ordered it this morning and should be here tomorrow with the rest of my new system. SHould be fun putting it all together :)

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I'm talkin about warranty. They might have the same chips but they use different coolers and thermal paste. I had 2 Galaxy Video Cards that had only 1 year manufacture warranty. While my BFgs have Lifetime. They Are build using the same components but tested and sold differently. Why else do you think they cost so much?

krane78

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Again, thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering the Gigabyte yesterday afternoon. I decided on it for a couple reasons already stated by others in this thread. It was the cheapest, already OC'd, and comes with a pretty decent Zalman cooler. The card also apprently comes with a 3 year warranty. Lifetime warranty isn't that big of a selling point with me since I don't mind having to upgrade this card by then and probably would do so anyway.

MrsBytch: That same PNY card here is $235 - $10 more than the Gigabyte.

L1qu1d: The XFX card isn't for purchase here. The EVGA card is just over $300 and the BFG is over $315. Just too much for my wallet :)

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
k don't be aware...look it up. Go Search the Galaxy company and look up the companies, Nvidia might offer lifetime warranty but for their cards, while others don't because they might have used cheaper coolers and thermal paste to have a cheaper video card.

amirgtr

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
EVGA FTW
I'm kinda n00b (relatively) when it comes to tech stuff but my friend is an expert and he only trusts XFX and EVGA. They have like this 'plans' for upgrading within 3 months and all you have to pay is the difference between the money you paid for your card and the price of the card you're getting.

and besides, EVGA 8800GT is pretty cheap too. I saw one on Newegg for like what...$180? I'm planning on getting one myself.

The Gigabyte shouldn't be a bad choice I have had a Gigabyte mobo and its still kicking after 5 years.

Northernheat

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
If your jus buying a card jus to run under stock lvls and upgrade alot , there's no point paying a extra 50 bucks (or more) jus for more years to warranty and a fancier cooler, i got a Zotac 8800 gt for 100 bucks cheaper then a evga/xfx made card , i paid 25 bucks for a Artic Cooling Accelro S2 and my "cheap" card runs like a champ at 50mhz over the factory OC.

But like i said it depends , if you want to plug it in as is , and jus leave it be , go for the best warranty for the least amount of cash , i never believe in buying a brand name jus for the sake of the "name".IMO Gigabyte was a good purchase as the zalman cooler will be quieter and cooler then the stock reference design.

Status
Not open for further replies.