Upgraded processor, now Windows is Irate.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Alright, all the pain started after I installed a new processor in my computer. Since I upgraded from a 4200+ to a 5000+ Black Ed., Vista's giving me all sorts of fits. Now, I also replaced my RAM at the same time, so I know that Vista has to re-learn what programs I use the most and all, but some programs aren't running at all. Windows Media player will not open for more than 10 seconds tops, and I can't enable sharing in MP without getting an error saying that "another program caused Windows Media Sharing to stop working." I also had to reinstall Norton 360, as it stopped functioning also. I hoped that installing Service Pack 1 would fix some of those issues, but it hasn't. In fact, I'm having more problems now, since some games that I used to run without a problem won't work. I don't know if SP1 uses more RAM, but something's not working right. I'm on the verge of reformatting. Anyone have any ideas? I'm running 64-bit Vista Ultimate, for the record. I did not reformat after I installed the processor, as I was hoping I wouldn't have to. My configuration's listed on my profile.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
The processor driver automatically downloaded and installed when I restarted my computer.

But now, the situation gets more interesting.

I went ahead with a reformat, since I knew that would fix my problems. Except it didn't.
I'm installing updates still, which could obviously have an affect on how things currently stand, but at this point, on a fresh install, Media Player still isn't working. And, according to Vista, the reason it's not working is that I have a Beta Version of Vista Ultimate. Now, I could be mistaken, but since I bought this copy in November, I'm pretty sure it's not a Beta version. Hopefully some updates will fix it's confusion.