8800gt is going on a diet to become 9800gt

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Nvidia_First_55nm_Desktop_Graphics%3B_GeForce_9800_GT/5714.html

VR-Zone first revealed Nvidia's plan to shift from 65nm to 55nm to lower costs and we have also told you a series of 55nm based mobile graphics GPUs based on G94b and G96b. Now we learned that the first desktop graphics card to be based on 55nm G92b core will be GeForce 9800 GT and it will be launched in July along with GeForce 9900 series. 9800 GT will support Hybrid Power. Apparently, GeForce 9800 GTS will be OEM only, not for channel.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I can't believe Nvidia are doing this, they're breaking a lot of ties with enthusiasts and vying for the (admittedly larger) OEM market. Those and the less knowledgable enthusiasts, who will buy the 9-series because it's better than the 8-series... :(
I think my GTXs will be replaced with ATi cards at present, I couldn't bring myself to buy into a better-numbered worse card than I have now....

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

The 9 series cards are for people who didn't jump on the 8 series, not for people like you with GTX's. Out of curiosity, what ATI cards are you going to "upgrade" to from your GTX's? From the benchies I've seen, even 2 3870X2's cant keep up with GTX's in most games with with the IQ turned up.

Wow, Lukebird, you've got 8800GTX SLI and you're already thinking of upgrading??? Pay your mortgage a bit faster, or travel a bit. Those cards deserve at least another year IMO...

pauldh

Illustrious

That's exactly it. They need the new model numbers for the big OEMS to offer.

Personally I think everyone expects too much out of NV now, kinda assuming they have more ready to offer than they actually do. Just because their 8800GTX was amazing and been out for over 1.5 years, people assume they are holding out on us not releasing their next beast simple because AMD hasn't pushed them to do so. We expected the same from Intel back when their P4 800 bus chips were the kings, and then came the A64's and it took them a long time to deliver leaving AMD to hold the lead for a while. Not saying ATI/AMD will hold the lead, just saying if they had released a true step up GPU they may very well have taken the lead for a while, leaving NV to scamble for a counter attack. NV may just been giving 100% throwing everything they have (ready) at us already. Just my $0.2.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

Yup, absolutely agree with you pauldh. Either Nvidia are really struggling to come up with a viable successor to the G80 GTX/Ultra or they really have been complacent with what they have recently produced. Late last year I would have said the former, now I would definitely believe the latter.

Sorry, should have clarified, I meant looking into the future I think the HD 4xxx's will be a nice upgrade. I certainly have no interest in the 9800GX2 or dual 9800GX2's for that matter. My old rig lasted a long time, but this one I have been impatient with upgrading, considering it was first built in october last year! I have added RAID'd raptors, a 2nd GTX and several other bits since then! [/quotemsg]

I have thought about that, perhaps just locking up my case to prevent me upgrading anything! :lol:
I think realistically even the next Nvidia series or the HD 4xxx's (as I have said, where I think at present I would upgrade to) are probably not going to offer enough over my GTX's. Perhaps one of the new AM2+ Nvidia chipset boards, a 3rd GTX for tri-SLi and a 9850BE...?? :D ;)

I think your right, nVidia is throwing everything they can right now. Its confusing, crazy, disappointing to some, but a testament of just what theyre capable of. They need to catch up on the process nodes, and what better way than to do so than with all these mini launches? Ive been hard on nVidia too, as well as somewhat disappointed. Remember this, when the GTX first came out, or the G80, it far surpassed what nVidia had hoped, so for another such increase, it takes time, and a lil luck. The luck can be elimanted with time, and if the rumors of the G200 are true, then its about time

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
If ATI's 4 series is all it is cracked up to be, maybe Nvidia would feel pressure to release the next gen a tad earlier. That would benefit me Step-Up-wise, but I'm not counting on it.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
seeing as Nvidia is just making and has been making money by the loads the past years, I don't see any lay offs coming.

I'll say this again don't get your hopes up, the higher they are, the further they fall. Wait and see, concentrate on the current. When and if ati cards are number 1 we'll see a rebound from Nvidia. Thats how the market is.

The Ati was number standing from the 9800 XT all the way to the 1950 XTX. then lost for the 2000s and 3000s. We'll see the 4000s soon and hopefulyl they will bounce back, I can't wait to jump back to ATI.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Out of curiosity, what ATI cards are you going to "upgrade" to from your GTX's? From the benchies I've seen, even 2 3870X2's cant keep up with GTX's in most games with with the IQ turned up.

Your about to find out my friend. ATI is about to take the graphics market by storm! I can just smell the nvidia layoffs coming....

I hopes its as good as you think it is, but I'll believe that when I see it.. They said the 2900XTX would be the "GTX Killer" but they only came out with the XT and it barely hung with the GTS. Then the 3xxx series came out and was supposed to be the "Ultra Killer", but that ended up barely being able to hang with the newly released GT. The X2 was the first card to actually hang with the Ultra, but it was hit or miss as the Ultra could still give it a beating in many games, especially with AA and AF enabled.

EDIT: Those same people who said the X2 would be the new "Ultra Killer" also said it would "smoke" the GX2. We all know who wins that in a head to head contest.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
In all honesty though, what percentage of games are really laking in FPS. If you play at 1920x1200 and below then you're probably only hitting bottom(30fps) on a very limited number of games that are really pretty current. If you do play at 1920x1200 and above then there really isn't too much need for AA/AF. If anything 2xAA and 8xAF is all you're really gonna need. Point being how fast is fast enough?

8800GT totally worth it's cheese!

Well, to me there needs to be some game releases to actually give me a good reason to upgrade from my GTX's to anything supposedly better.

When they make a game that has better graphics than say COD4 that can look more real with a video card that supports new shaders then I will jump on that bandwagon.

Until then my GTX's will continue to overheat my case... ;)

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

3000 series were never meant to be a ultra killer. AMD never said that. It was supposed to be a better 2000 series at lower cost and heat.

2000 series? ATI **** up. They really need to get with the brute force program like they did with 9700pro.

As for the new 4000 series it will easily beat G92. Not by huge gains but it will once they get Gddr5 rolling into their cards.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7623.html

AMD is bringing in 4000 series supposedly on May with GDDR3. GDDR5 for a later release. Comes equipped with 480SP 16 ROP 32 TMU.

It would make sense that Nvidia has cought wind of this and has released a confusing array of products that confuse even the most knowledgable customers.

This will be good for AMD to ride the wave of success in some areas of their business. Hopefully they can do it long enough to make some serious capital gains.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Odd as it may sound I think Intel and ATI might team up against Nvidia for a good GPU fight. WHY? you ask. Sometimes it's best for the weak and the strong to team up to fight a mutual enemy. Not to Geek up the forum more, but think about the Matrix. The humans and the system shared a moment of mutual disagreement to fight agent Smith. Just think of Intel like the system, ati like a human and Nvidia like agent Smith.

Ok that's just how I think of it.

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
lets be realistic now...what are the chances of amd/ati and intel teaming up for a joint project? even though its not impossible, it is very unlikely in my opinion.

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
if they did that, the prices on the cards would be astronomical. if they all work together for one product, then they can all collectively charge whatever price they want. So if AMD, nVidia and Intel all had different GPU's that used raytracing, the pricing would be competitive...but if they all work on it at once, then they could sell the card for $1,000 or more if they wanted.