RAM, RAM Ratios, and FSB

jeanluclariviere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Hi everyone, New to overclocking, new to the forums. I've been reading more and more about overclocking, and constantly keep finding myself here - I finally managed to get a PC together - so now to my question.I'm running 2 x 1Gb Corsair XMS DDR2 800mhz. From my understanding, they are actually running at a base speed of 400mhz each. Now, if im running a Pentium Dual Core 2.2Ghz proc. at a bus speed of 200mhz with a RAM ration of 1:1 does that mean I can push the proc. another 200mhz before reaching the RAMs rated speed ? I don't think so, and believe i am missing part of the equasion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance, JL

jeanluclariviere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I dont plan on pushing the board to 400mhz, but for sake of argument, I could infact push the fsb another 200mhz without worrying that the ram would be overclocked, correct ? - And if that is infact the case, and I begin increasing the FSB, and suddenly i get an unstable report, or the blue screen of death (as i've read so often on other forums) I could safely assume that it is the CPU faulting and not the RAM ? Thanks again.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
You could do 400FSB, but you'll have to lower your CPU muliplier. By default the muliplier on E2180 is 10x, the best option would be an 8x multi.

400FSB * 8 = 3.2ghz OC.

another safe bet is 333 * 9 = 3ghz OC.

The choice is really yours, as you can play with the memory ratio that will put you closest to your rated memory speed.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
jeanluclariviere,

The following is from a similar thread - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247906-29-ratio#t1781779 - posted in July this year, which may help to clarify your thoughts and answer your questions: