wtf@newegg and coretemp

First off: Newegg. Now we all know the new core i7's basically flatten the old core 2 quads right? like 50% faster clock for clock in some applications, and can overclock easily. why, then, is the
Q9550 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041)
MORE expensive than the
i7 920 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202)?

Next, why are the core temps either the same or within 1 degree, when one is at 0% and the other at 100%? don't believe me?

wtf. explanations anyone? I really don't understand how one "100%" can have a higher temp than another "100%" eg, Intel burn test or Prime95 getting higher temps than any other practical program.
11 answers Last reply
More about newegg coretemp
  1. Try real temp, maybe less buggy, or you might have a stuck sensor.
  2. no, it's not stuck, it regularly changes in other apps, prime 95 gets up to 65 C sometimes. certianly not stuck... its just weird it does that when GPU Folding at home. so idk if F@H is giving a false CPU reading, like confusing it with the GPU? looks funny though :lol:
  3. hmmm, weird
  4. i wonder if anyone else has experienced this?
  5. No clue, maybe try the Xtreme forums in the realtemp section if no luck here.
    I've been doing a fair amount of reading over there and Uncle web is very helpful.
  6. :lol:.

any comments on the newegg pricing?
  7. I really don't
  8. another one for anyone thats actually interested lol... why is it my posts always seem to die? :/
  9. Have you tried 0.99.3. Could be a bug with older version.

The reason why Core2 quads aren't going down in pricing is because i7 is a steep upgrade for alot of users. A cheaper upgrade for Core2 dual users would be getting a Q9x00. Intel knows this, they are pricing it lower, to get people moving into i7 platform.
  10. ^but even intel admitted i7 isn't a major CPU.. just a filler in for about 6 months. Mainstream nehalems (where they will get the majority of their sales from OEM's) in socket 1166 or something similar should be coming early next year..
Ask a new question

Read More

Core Intel i7 Overclocking Product