shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Reformatted my Laptops HD (its a old Hatachi ata/ide 60gb) , when i go to install XP the install progress cant find the HD I get this:

<Unknown Disk>
There is no disk in drive.

<Unknown Disk>

<Unknown Disk>

<Unknown Disk>

Then 15 secs later it blue screens into a 0x0000008E error.

I have checked the RAM... its fine
I have tried another HD ( and even older 30gb)
BIOS is set up for IDE and sees the HD during its PreBoot.. but the install CD will not =-(

Any ideas?!?!

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Like though the "Repair" option from the install CD?

... will try

The problem is gettting the OS WinXP to find the HD and install.. sooo I cant really get a command prompt up from the start menu lol =-(

As far as from teh "Repair" option on the XP Install CD Fdisk just gives me a:

"The command is not recognized..."

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
When i try to use the "format" command it gives me:

"The specified drive is not valid, or there is no disk in drive."

The "chkdsk" command gives me:

"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Both HD's i tryed give me theses errors and more =-(

On another note I have a little USB encloser and they both work for data storage... any ideas guys, surely there not "dead" if they work fine for storage.....

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

Nope... no OS... though the "repair" on the XP install CD there is the same stuff but it doesn't see the HD.... Updated post.

HELP!? Plz =-)

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

First of all quite fooling around with windoze go to hitachi's web site and download their disc utility it will/should make a diagnostic floppy/cd??from which you can examine/repair your hdd's,and if you have the right adapter do them from a standard pc [easier to work with] -- ..:)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
To run FDISK you have to have a DOS running. When I've used FDISK before, first I had to make a bootable DOS floppy that would be used to boot from, establishing a DOS environment. Then I had to copy FDISK to that floppy so it would be run under DOS and used.

I'm confused when you say, "Reformatted my Laptops HD". A Format operation should leave you with a blank drive, but it still exists and is recognized with a letter name if you can get an OS running to look. Did you actually re-Partition the drive? That actually is what FDISK does, anyway, but it can be done in Windows Disk Manager. If you Partitioned it without formatting afterward, Windows will not see it as a valid drive. However, an XP Install still should be able to find a device to work with and should be able to do the Partition and Format operations for you before actually installing to the drive.

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

From Hatachi's site:

"Disk Manager

"Disk Manager by Ontrack is no longer available for download because Windows XP and 2000 operating systems do not require it."

... =-( I'll look around for one anyways... but i guess its not supposed to need it or drivers either..

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Ok so no Floppy on Laptop =-(... and the old ass Dell 4550 that im posting from has no cd burner.... anyway to make a USB diagnostic ? or just pop it in a enclosure and use the desktop to scan the HD?

shadowknight86

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Can i maby ghost an image of my desktops OS onto laptops HD (through usb external) then boot up laptop.. i know the ini and wutnot would be out of wack but would it maby just need a "Repair" ..... idk trying to come up with way to get XP on the HD incase I cant ever get the install CD to see the HD...

TRENDING THREADS