Sign in with
Your question

Does CPU speed affect SLi scaling?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2008 8:54:26 PM

Basicly, Ive got the setup below, and Im contemplating getting a second 8800GT for SLi, when this question popped into my head. Will a low speed CPU bottleneck an SLi setup more than it would a single card?
April 14, 2008 8:57:29 PM

it will effect the performance of the graphics subsystem if there is alot of thing to rander when the resolution turns up.as always to maximise everything as you trying to eliminate bottleneck in your system.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2008 9:03:37 PM

B-Unit said:
Basicly, Ive got the setup below, and Im contemplating getting a second 8800GT for SLi, when this question popped into my head. Will a low speed CPU bottleneck an SLi setup more than it would a single card?

In some games 'yes' but for the most part with your CPU @2.8 you shouldn't have too many issues, if any at all.
Related resources
April 14, 2008 9:15:00 PM

Yea, I was fairly confident that I would have the horsepower, but I was more curious in general.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2008 9:22:34 PM

ryanthesav said:
I was told by many that it will; in games such as crysis.

Check out this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249924-33-crysis-benc...

Forget Crysis, it's just not coded right IMHO. NFSMW really showed up the cpu issues on my 3800 x2 939 rig Crysis did not.
April 14, 2008 10:41:52 PM

My personal experience leads me to say yes, it does. The system I had was;

Asus P5N
Intel D-805 @ 2.66
2 GB DDR800 Patriot
2 x BFG 8800GT
XP SP2

I cannot say for other games, but for Crysis my FPS nearly doubled once I got my Quad 6600. When I say doubled I mean going from 18-30 FPS on medium settings @ 1280x1024 to 36-60 FPS with high settings @ 1280x1024. Prior to upgrading my CPU, I actually stopped playing Crysis, it just wasn't worth playing to me. After the upgrade I was able to play smooth and finished the game. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck,
Frag em and shag em!!!,

Noobalicious
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2008 11:55:51 PM

Hmm, yeah the cpu will come into play alot more with SLI than with one card. It again depends on the game and settings, but in general you will obviously be more cpu limited than you were with one card. What SLI will let you do is enable or Crank FSAA. Without FSAA or massive resolution you will have a hard time taking advantage of SLI. Crysis for example is both CPU and GPU limited. Same with Oblivion. SLI 8800GT would be awsome out in the lush foliage, but around towns/castles/lot's of NPC's, you will still see low fps becasue of the CPU.
!