how to delete/rearrange desktop icons on tungstenE?

July 8, 2004 2:44:48 PM

hi all,
i am new to pda's. my questions are probably very basic.
when i hotsync'd my tungstenE to my computer i got a whole slew of icons
on my pda such as phone dialers, photo options, versamail, etc. i don't
want any of those added programs, and their icons are distracting on my
desktop.
1. can i remove these icons and can i prevent them from reappearing when i
do my next hotsync backup?
2.if i can't eliminate the icons, can i rearrange them on the pda desktop
or can i hide them.
3.do i just have the icons on the pda or do i have the actual programs? if
so, how much memory do they take up - where can i find that info?
4.where do i check how much memory i have left?
thanks, dina
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 4:21:09 PM

dtbray wrote:
his/her Tugnsten E.>

Note: I have a Palm m105, not a Tungsten E, so I can't be sure my
suggestions will work.

Are you sure that your Tunsten is displaying the "Main" screen instead
of the "All" screen? Tap in the upper right corner of the display,
where the current screen name is displayed, to see the available
screens. I've got lots of icons on my m105, but only the most commonly
used ones are on the "Main" screen.

To add a new screen, tap the upper right corner of the display, to
display the available screens, and then select "Edit Categories..."

To move an icon from one screen to another, select the "Options" icon
(on an m105, is down in the Grafitti area, on the lower left side - it
has a downward-pointing arrow on it). A menu will appear at the top of
the display, with the choices "App" and "Options". Tap "App". A
submenu will appear. Select "Category..." After a short wait, all the
programs installed on your Tungsten will appear, along with the screen
on which they appear. To move an icon from one screen to another, just
tap on the corresponding screen name. A menu of all the available
screens will appear. Tap on the desired new screen to move the icon to
the new screen.

I have to move some of my icons after a HotSync - it seems like it's
always the same icons, but I can't figure out why.

Hope this helps.

Bob Pownall
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 11:04:07 AM

dtbray@mindspring.com (dtbray) wrote in
news:D tbray-0807041045030001@192.168.1.100:

> hi all,
> i am new to pda's. my questions are probably very basic.
> when i hotsync'd my tungstenE to my computer i got a whole
> slew of icons on my pda such as phone dialers, photo
> options, versamail, etc. i don't want any of those added
> programs, and their icons are distracting on my desktop.
> 1. can i remove these icons and can i prevent them from
> reappearing when i do my next hotsync backup?
> 2.if i can't eliminate the icons, can i rearrange them on
> the pda desktop or can i hide them.
> 3.do i just have the icons on the pda or do i have the
> actual programs? if so, how much memory do they take up -
> where can i find that info? 4.where do i check how much
> memory i have left? thanks, dina

Access the menus by tapping the menu silkscreen button. Tap
Delete, and then select the app(s) you want to delete. This is
all explained in the tutorial and the help file.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 2:10:11 PM

thank you, robert and stan, for your advice. i have successfully followed it.
dina

!