Akai PT46DL10

I just bought an Akai PT46DL10. It has the internal reflection problem
mentioned in Brad B's post. I wonder if they all have this problem, and if
it can be fixed. It seems to come & go- I can move the thing a little bit &
the problem seems to go away. But all it takes is a little bump to bring it
back.
12 answers Last reply
More about akai pt46dl10

    "Kelly Randall" <krandal@airmail.net> wrote in message
    >I just bought an Akai PT46DL10. It has the internal reflection problem
    >mentioned in Brad B's post. I wonder if they all have this problem, and if
    >it can be fixed. It seems to come & go- I can move the thing a little bit &
    >the problem seems to go away. But all it takes is a little bump to bring it
    >back.
    There are two mirrors outside the DLP engine and the smaller front mirror
    can easily be moved if the case is not supported properly.

    It also has a design issue in that the grounds are not bonded. If you use
    the component in and do not connect the audio in then you have no ground
    connection for the component in. Picture tears as the sync (low freq) is
    degraded. Also I pity anyone who has a lightning hit on their system (DVD,
    Stereo, TV, Receiver) as ground paths are not there to protect the signal
    paths.

    Picture quality is good though. There is no service system set-up for this
    set like the other Akai sets (Samsung made and serviced). Boards are
    smaller (maybe cheaper) slightly harder to service than the Samsung DLP.

    "Jeff Rigby" <jeffg212@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Kelly Randall" <krandal@airmail.net> wrote in message
    >>I just bought an Akai PT46DL10. It has the internal reflection problem
    >>mentioned in Brad B's post. I wonder if they all have this problem, and if
    >>it can be fixed. It seems to come & go- I can move the thing a little bit
    >>& the problem seems to go away. But all it takes is a little bump to bring
    >>it back.
    > There are two mirrors outside the DLP engine and the smaller front mirror
    > can easily be moved if the case is not supported properly.
    >
    > It also has a design issue in that the grounds are not bonded. If you use
    > the component in and do not connect the audio in then you have no ground
    > connection for the component in. Picture tears as the sync (low freq) is
    > degraded. Also I pity anyone who has a lightning hit on their system
    > (DVD, Stereo, TV, Receiver) as ground paths are not there to protect the
    > signal paths.
    >
    > Picture quality is good though. There is no service system set-up for
    > this set like the other Akai sets (Samsung made and serviced). Boards are
    > smaller (maybe cheaper) slightly harder to service than the Samsung DLP.

    Thanks for the info. To clarify my original message- there is a horizontal
    line about 1/3 of the way up and about 1/2 inch thick.

    I'm wondering if there's something that should be done to support the case
    properly. I love the picture and the price- if I coul just get rid of that
    line, I'd keep the TV. Or, if I thought the next one would be better, I'd
    tell Fry's to replace this one.

    I think I had the same problem. A bar in the lower third of the
    screen, 1/2" by 18" that didn't seem to fit. The image was not always
    there but it was annoying. Because I had already went through the
    ordeal of exchanging one set I was not sure what to do. Could I learn
    to live with it or take a chance on a third set?

    I did take it back and the third time was the charm. The Akai image is
    beautiful, especially with those HD shows.

    I'm not so sure that I would buy this particular set if I had it to
    do over though. I'm uncomfortable with the idea that I have spent
    $1700 for a limited production poorly supported model. My experience
    with Akai's "customercare" has been dismal. I've posting another
    message with a few questions that hopefully will ease my mind about
    this TV.

    I'm glad to learn I'm not the only owner of this model TV.

    Frank

    "Philadelphia Frank" <philafrank@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I think I had the same problem. A bar in the lower third of the
    > screen, 1/2" by 18" that didn't seem to fit. The image was not always
    > there but it was annoying. Because I had already went through the
    > ordeal of exchanging one set I was not sure what to do. Could I learn
    > to live with it or take a chance on a third set?
    >
    > I did take it back and the third time was the charm. The Akai image is
    > beautiful, especially with those HD shows.
    >
    > I'm not so sure that I would buy this particular set if I had it to
    > do over though. I'm uncomfortable with the idea that I have spent
    > $1700 for a limited production poorly supported model. My experience
    > with Akai's "customercare" has been dismal. I've posting another
    > message with a few questions that hopefully will ease my mind about
    > this TV.
    >
    > I'm glad to learn I'm not the only owner of this model TV.
    >
    > Frank
    >
    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:43:34 -0600, "Kelly Randall"
    > <krandal@airmail.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought an Akai PT46DL10. It has the internal reflection problem
    >>mentioned in Brad B's post. I wonder if they all have this problem, and if
    >>it can be fixed. It seems to come & go- I can move the thing a little bit
    >>&
    >>the problem seems to go away. But all it takes is a little bump to bring
    >>it
    >>back.

    Here's some info on this model: I had called the Akai number from the
    manual after hours. The recordings didn't say that there was no one to
    answer the phone, but apparently that was true. I left a message & they
    replied the next day, telling me to call during normal office hours.

    I did call at 8:30 Pacific time and explained my problem to the woman who
    answered (A horizontal line about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, about
    1/2 inch thick- apparently an internal reflection). She sent me to
    Technical Support, who said this is a known problem with some of these tv's,
    but not all of them. He said it's easy to fix, but they need to send
    someone out to fix it, and that will take about 2 weeks. That's really OK
    with me, so I faxed my invoice from Fry's to him. He said someone would be
    calling to schedule a time to come out.

    Thank you for the info Kelly. It is heartening to hear that you had a
    positive experience with Akai's Customer Care. By a strange
    coincidence I received an email from Customer Care yesterday. It was
    customer support phone number for help. I'm glad there is some sign of
    life from Akai.

    I found a little info abut this model TV from another forum. The
    person posting it was "anonymous". If it is true, DVLX did not waste a
    lot of money on their website. The next 6 lines are from Anonymous.

    Some info about AKAI PT46DL10:
    NOT a Samsung model. Developed for AKAI by a company called DVLX
    (www.dvlx.com) in San Diego CA
    HD2 Engine
    6 segment colorwheel
    OPLUS MN203 scaler

    Thank you again for sharing your experiences with the PT46DL10. Good
    luck with your repair.

    Frank

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:18:05 -0600, "Kelly Randall"
    <krandal@airmail.net> wrote:

    >"Philadelphia Frank" <philafrank@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I think I had the same problem. A bar in the lower third of the
    >> screen, 1/2" by 18" that didn't seem to fit. The image was not always
    >> there but it was annoying. Because I had already went through the
    >> ordeal of exchanging one set I was not sure what to do. Could I learn
    >> to live with it or take a chance on a third set?
    >>
    >> I did take it back and the third time was the charm. The Akai image is
    >> beautiful, especially with those HD shows.
    >>
    >> I'm not so sure that I would buy this particular set if I had it to
    >> do over though. I'm uncomfortable with the idea that I have spent
    >> $1700 for a limited production poorly supported model. My experience
    >> with Akai's "customercare" has been dismal. I've posting another
    >> message with a few questions that hopefully will ease my mind about
    >> this TV.
    >>
    >> I'm glad to learn I'm not the only owner of this model TV.
    >>
    >> Frank
    >>
    >> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:43:34 -0600, "Kelly Randall"
    >> <krandal@airmail.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just bought an Akai PT46DL10. It has the internal reflection problem
    >>>mentioned in Brad B's post. I wonder if they all have this problem, and if
    >>>it can be fixed. It seems to come & go- I can move the thing a little bit
    >>>&
    >>>the problem seems to go away. But all it takes is a little bump to bring
    >>>it
    >>>back.
    >>>

    >Here's some info on this model: I had called the Akai number from the
    >manual after hours. The recordings didn't say that there was no one to
    >answer the phone, but apparently that was true. I left a message & they
    >replied the next day, telling me to call during normal office hours.
    >
    >I did call at 8:30 Pacific time and explained my problem to the woman who
    >answered (A horizontal line about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, about
    >1/2 inch thick- apparently an internal reflection). She sent me to
    >Technical Support, who said this is a known problem with some of these tv's,
    >but not all of them. He said it's easy to fix, but they need to send
    >someone out to fix it, and that will take about 2 weeks. That's really OK
    >with me, so I faxed my invoice from Fry's to him. He said someone would be
    >calling to schedule a time to come out.

    Hi Kelly;

    I guess if I read a little more in that "other forum" I would have
    learned that you already knew this. There has been a bit more
    disscusion since the last time I looked.

    Frank

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:25:41 GMT, Philadelphia Frank
    <philafrank@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Thank you for the info Kelly. It is heartening to hear that you had a
    >positive experience with Akai's Customer Care. By a strange
    >coincidence I received an email from Customer Care yesterday. It was
    >customer support phone number for help. I'm glad there is some sign of
    >life from Akai.
    >
    >I found a little info abut this model TV from another forum. The
    >person posting it was "anonymous". If it is true, DVLX did not waste a
    >lot of money on their website. The next 6 lines are from Anonymous.
    >
    >Some info about AKAI PT46DL10:
    >NOT a Samsung model. Developed for AKAI by a company called DVLX
    >(www.dvlx.com) in San Diego CA
    >HD2 Engine
    >6 segment colorwheel
    >OPLUS MN203 scaler
    >
    >Thank you again for sharing your experiences with the PT46DL10. Good
    >luck with your repair.
    >
    >Frank

    >If you use the component in and do not connect the audio in then you have
    >no ground connection for the component in. Picture tears as the sync (low
    >freq) is degraded.

    I am using the component in (progressive) and I have the audio connected,but
    I still have the "tearing" problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

    > >If you use the component in and do not connect the audio in then you have
    >>no ground connection for the component in. Picture tears as the sync (low
    >>freq) is degraded.
    >
    > I am using the component in (progressive) and I have the audio
    > connected,but
    > I still have the "tearing" problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

    Here's a little more about what I'm calling "tearing": It looks like
    electronic interferance, I suppose, and it kind of smears light colors to
    the left & right. I connected my new dvd player to the Akai via the
    progressive scan component inputs, switched it to progressive scan & tried
    to display the dvd player setup menu. It was unreadable. I played a dvd with
    subtitles tuned on & they were mostly unreadable. I switched the dvd player
    back to non-progressive scan & plugged it into the other component input &
    everything displays fine. I plan to call Akai about that in the morning.

    Forgive me if this info is obvious. Only component 1 can be used for
    720p. If you are trying to use the jacks component2, they are only
    good for 480p.

    Frank

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:18:59 -0600, "Kelly Randall"
    <krandal@airmail.net> wrote:

    >"Kelly Randall" <krandal@airmail.net> wrote in message
    >> >If you use the component in and do not connect the audio in then you have
    >>>no ground connection for the component in. Picture tears as the sync (low
    >>>freq) is degraded.
    >>
    >> I am using the component in (progressive) and I have the audio
    >> connected,but
    >> I still have the "tearing" problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    >>
    >Here's a little more about what I'm calling "tearing": It looks like
    >electronic interferance, I suppose, and it kind of smears light colors to
    >the left & right. I connected my new dvd player to the Akai via the
    >progressive scan component inputs, switched it to progressive scan & tried
    >to display the dvd player setup menu. It was unreadable. I played a dvd with
    >subtitles tuned on & they were mostly unreadable. I switched the dvd player
    >back to non-progressive scan & plugged it into the other component input &
    >everything displays fine. I plan to call Akai about that in the morning.

    Yes, you're right. I have the problem when I use component1.

    Kelly

    > Forgive me if this info is obvious. Only component 1 can be used for
    > 720p. If you are trying to use the jacks component2, they are only
    > good for 480p.
    >
    > Frank
    >
    > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:18:59 -0600, "Kelly Randall"
    > <krandal@airmail.net> wrote:
    >
    >>"Kelly Randall" <krandal@airmail.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I am using the component in (progressive) and I have the audio
    >>> connected,but
    >>> I still have the "tearing" problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    >>>
    >>Here's a little more about what I'm calling "tearing": It looks like
    >>electronic interferance, I suppose, and it kind of smears light colors to
    >>the left & right. I connected my new dvd player to the Akai via the
    >>progressive scan component inputs, switched it to progressive scan & tried
    >>to display the dvd player setup menu. It was unreadable. I played a dvd
    >>with
    >>subtitles tuned on & they were mostly unreadable. I switched the dvd
    >>player
    >>back to non-progressive scan & plugged it into the other component input &
    >>everything displays fine. I plan to call Akai about that in the morning.

    Here's an update: I called Akai & the guy didn't seem to recognize the
    symptoms I described. He did say they could fix it. I returned the tv to
    fry's & got another which has the same problems, as it turns out. I'm
    hoping Fry's can fix it, but now it's been a week since I first talked to
    them & they haven't called to schedule a visit.

    > Yes, you're right. I have the problem when I use component1.
    >
    > Kelly
    >
    > "Philadelphia Frank" <philafrank@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Forgive me if this info is obvious. Only component 1 can be used for
    >> 720p. If you are trying to use the jacks component2, they are only
    >> good for 480p.
    >>
    >> Frank
    >>
    >> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:18:59 -0600, "Kelly Randall"
    >> <krandal@airmail.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Kelly Randall" <krandal@airmail.net> wrote in message

    >>>Here's a little more about what I'm calling "tearing": It looks like
    >>>electronic interferance, I suppose, and it kind of smears light colors to
    >>>the left & right. I connected my new dvd player to the Akai via the
    >>>progressive scan component inputs, switched it to progressive scan &
    >>>tried
    >>>to display the dvd player setup menu. It was unreadable. I played a dvd
    >>>with
    >>>subtitles tuned on & they were mostly unreadable. I switched the dvd
    >>>player
    >>>back to non-progressive scan & plugged it into the other component input
    >>>&
    >>>everything displays fine. I plan to call Akai about that in the morning.

    Here's another update: Fry's has no more to Akai's to ship me- Akai
    "recalled" all the tv's from that store. Akai called & left me the number
    of someone in Dallas who would handle warranty work. I called them & they
    told me I'm too far away from them, although they are in Dallas and so am I.
    They gave me the number of someone in (nearby) Ft Worth, but the Ft Worth
    people told me they wouldn't come to Dallas. I went back to Fry's & bought
    a 44" RCA dlp & I'm sending the Akai back.

    > Here's an update: I called Akai & the guy didn't seem to recognize the
    > symptoms I described. He did say they could fix it. I returned the tv to
    > fry's & got another which has the same problems, as it turns out. I'm
    > hoping Fry's can fix it, but now it's been a week since I first talked to
    > them & they haven't called to schedule a visit.
    >

    > "Kelly Randall" <krandal@airmail.net> wrote in message
    >> Yes, you're right. I have the problem when I use component1.
    >>
    >> Kelly
    >>
    >> "Philadelphia Frank" <philafrank@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Forgive me if this info is obvious. Only component 1 can be used for
    >>> 720p. If you are trying to use the jacks component2, they are only
    >>> good for 480p.
    >>>
    >>> Frank

HDTV Home Theatre