ASR Restore from External SATA

squeaky

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hi, I have an ASR setup based on the floppy and the .bkf on an external sata drive configured in my motherboard bios to appear as a plain old IDE drive.

The plain old IDE SATA drive was not present on the machine that I did the ASR backup on when I made the ASR backup.

No matter what I have tried, I cannot get the ASR setup to recognize the SATA IDE drive that holds my .bkf . It's like it's just not there. Not mounted.

Now, with some quick switching of the sata connection during various time-windows, I can sometimes get the external drive to mount, point the ntbackup at that, and then the restore continues. But it is difficult to replicate... And sort of a corny way to recovery.

So, my question is how can I modify the ASR diskette files to tell the system to look out for and mount the external drive. Or better yet, how about an explanation on how come what I am doing sometimes works and a better time in the process so that it works every time.

Hmmm, maybe it's all clear as mud

Lavarin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
IIRC, the ASR is also dependent on what hard disk you've used... in other words, you'll need to restore to the same drive you backed up from.

I also suggest you wouldn't do the quick switching, you might damage something.