Performance difference registered/unregistered

kenny724

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Hey, is there alot of noticeable performance difference between unregistered and registered? I know the registered uses extra time to verify the data.

Mondoman

Splendid
If you're talking about RAM, registered is MUCH more robust, because it uses "registers" to essentially clean up and amplify the (sometimes very weak) signals from the memory controller. However, your MB chipset and design determines what kind of RAM it will support. Consumer MBs only support unbuffered RAM, not registered RAM. Server MBs support registered RAM or FB (fully-buffered) RAM, which is even more robust. The new DDR3 RAM design incorporates some improvements, so DDR3 should be more robust than unbuffered DDR2.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
ECC verifies data. You can only use it in server mobos, and I think an Asus X38 mobo takes it. But the fastest is DDR2 800. No DDR3 memory has it.

kenny724

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I read on intel that some of the motherboards do support the registered ram....like the 810 and 815 series. My only option is to try it and see if it works....if it doesn't then lesson learned. I only paid 8 bucks for 512mb of pc133 registered ecc.....I'm sure I could get rid of it on ebay for that plus the cost of shipping. I'll keep everyone posted on the answer if it works or not. Intel says it depends on the type of motherboard in that series. It was a computer from a business environment that I bought....so we will just have to see.
Thanks,
Kenny