Your question

New System build... Need Sugestions

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2008 8:38:50 AM

I am building a new system and was looking for suggestions on a good Heat Sink to fit my case and any other suggestions, this is my current list:
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830
Tagan BZ ESA Series 1100W Power Supply
ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP X48
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
WD Raptor 150 10,000 RPM
3x Hitachi 1TB Hard Drive
LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM GGW-H20L
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R SH-S203N
8 GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX
KDS K-24MDWB 24" LCD Monitor
Windows Vista 64 Bit Ultimate
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Creative Inspire P7800 Speakers

More about : system build sugestions

April 4, 2008 9:49:11 AM

Good Lord ... That's really an awesome system ...

3x 1TB? Are you planning on massive video storing/editing? Gee ...

Good luck then, so far so good ... You were just make me jealous :p 
Related resources
April 4, 2008 11:34:17 AM

Sorry I can't help you with the HSF but just out of curiosity, with that much invested into the build, why not get a 9800GX2?
April 4, 2008 12:19:57 PM

or 2 GX2s..lol...
April 4, 2008 1:00:52 PM

How much does such a system cost and what do you plan to do with it? From a gaming point of view, I feel it is a complete waste of money given the performance you will get.

Please give us more details.
April 4, 2008 2:06:59 PM

get the qx9650 , i dont think you have money issues.
April 5, 2008 12:59:15 AM

I was thinking of getting 1 9800GX2 and the QX9770. I was trying to keep the buil under $5000 thousand and currently it still is. Thats why I picked the processor and GPU that I did. I left a few things off the list like wires and stuff, but all together it costs around $4700.
April 5, 2008 2:01:46 AM

I'll try to stay neutral, but to me it is clear that you have close to no idea about what you are building, it seems you picked-up all the parts that had premium price ... anyway.

Keeping in mind that you want to build a hell of a rig, here are some modification I would do.
  • PSU: Damn it looks hot, but 800W should be more than enough since you cannot SLI on a X48 (XFire only). (~-140$)
  • MB: Any good 780i MB with the features you want (Wi-fi?), at least you will have SLI capable board and the above PSU should support it. (~-100$)
  • RAM: Get DDR2 instead (-600$)
  • HD: Ditch the Raptor (-150$)
  • HD: Get a 32GB MTron SSD drive (some benchmarks here) for OS and apps (+700$)

Invest what is remaining (~290$) in a good water cooling kit that will outlast the PC by at least 2-3 fold.
    April 5, 2008 6:44:15 AM

Actually I spent the last 8 months planning this build. I specifically waited on the PSU, GPU and the processor. I dont really like liquid cooling, its well known that the Q9550 can be overclocked on air cooling. I also have 6 Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F fans (7 fans total) to cool the system.
    I have kicked around the thought of a 790i board but I am not big on dual graphics cards to me it is overkill. Trust me I have spent countless hours debating which parts to get. This might seem like just all high end parts but this is what I wanted.

My biggest problem is the heatsink. I want to run four fans on the side of my case so I need a heatsink that will accommodate this. I originally was going to get the Zalman 9700 but it will not fit with the fans on the sides in my case. Hence I need a little help in that department.
    April 5, 2008 7:57:50 AM

Wow $5k? I would just spend about $2k now and upgrade within 12-18 months and spend another $1k or so upgrading. Than you'll have $2k left for whatever you want. I know it sounds like you want the best, but the premiums that your paying, IMHO, aren't worth it.
    On to your ?. If you can fit the Thermalright Ultra 120 into your build than I'd probably get that. The Xigmatek s1283 is very competetive, but only loses out a little over the Thermalright Ultra 120.
    April 5, 2008 12:35:31 PM

jgray95903 said:
    I dont really like liquid cooling, its well known that the Q9550 can be overclocked on air cooling. I also have 6 Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F fans (7 fans total) to cool the system.
    I've (unfortunately) never owned a water cooled cooled rig, but I am pretty sure it's the holly grail of silent computing and probably even more for overclocking. I do admit that having water running through a 5000$ rig might be a bit stressful :p .

jgray95903 said:
    I have kicked around the thought of a 790i board but I am not big on dual graphics cards to me it is overkill. Trust me
    So ANY board that can overclock like hell is good to you? Are there any features you specifically want (on-board wi-fi, dual-lan, ...)? Right now with your requirements, even a 150$ EP35-DS3R would suit.

jgray95903 said:
    My biggest problem is the heatsink. I want to run four fans on the side of my case so I need a heatsink that will accommodate this. I originally was going to get the Zalman 9700 but it will not fit with the fans on the sides in my case. Hence I need a little help in that department.
    You can always take a look at FrostyTech's Top5 and choose the right balance of noise and cooling capability. There is always the Ultra-90 that could probably accommodate a case with a side fan.
    April 5, 2008 1:00:23 PM

Ok, I got a Xaser V2000A with side mounted fans so I measured, as best as I could, the clearance from top of my stock cooler (60mm) to my side fan and got an extra 3.5" (~87mm) so you should be ok with any <140mm HSF. Based on frosty's top 5 (cooling), the following would fit (might be a tight fit, but would fit non the less:
  • #5 - Zalman CNPS9700
  • #6 - Apack Zerotherm BTF-92 OC Edition
  • #8 - Xigmatek HDT-S983

I was hesitating between an Hyper 212 and a Hyper TX2, I guess I'll have to go with the TX2 (also a good option).
    April 6, 2008 2:19:36 AM

Thanks for all the replys, you have been a massive help in this build. I picked the P5E3 board because it has Wirless Draft N range and the ability to overclock well. I have the D-link Xtreme N Gaming Router. Plus in the future when "Nehalem" is on the market I expect the QX9550 to drop in price. It will be a while before it drops but that is my plan. I will take a look at the heatsinks that you suggested but right now my wife needs me to take her shopping.
    April 7, 2008 2:10:54 PM

What do you think of the Zalman CNPS9500, it gives me plenty of clearance for the side fans?
    !