J&W or Gigabyte AMD 780g

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I am going to build a system that will (initialy at least, posibly for its whole life) use on board graphics. I plan on hooking it to a 1080p TV (1920 x 1080?).

I want to stick with AMD because they are cheap, I have a spare CPU, the 780g has the best current IGP and will let me migrate CPUs as I upgrade my main.

I trying to decide between the J&W RS780UVD-AM2+ and the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H.
It looks like the Asus, MSI and ECS versions are inferior in some way or another

The J&W (not yet availiable in the US) uses sideband memory (good for about a 10-15% performance boost), but has no PCIe x1 slot. it looks like it should be a pretty good OCer (2.15v memory cap may limit chooices). The Gigabyte (sold out at newegg) has the PCIe x1, and eSATA, but no sideband. it looks like it may be a slightly better OCer.

I don't know what the future may hold, so a PCIe x1 may be useful someday, but not currently for me. I plan on having it around for a while in one form or another. I can get an adapter to turn a Sata port into an eSata, so thats not a real issue.

what do you guys think? Gigabyte,J&W, or waite a bit longer.

I'm in the same boat. The J&W looks interesting, but since it's not out yet (or ever) and I have not heard of the brand I'm not sure. Anandtech is supposed to have a 780g comparison out soon (they said either today or early next week, we'll see) so if possible you may want to wait for that. Also, the other big MB manufacturers should have their boards out soon as well.

I'm in no rush since I can't build until May at the earliest (I'm in college until then). I have bought all of the parts except MB and processor (I'm holding out for a 9100e/9150e, 4850e, or a dual core phenom).