Recovering files with a zero file size

Hi all,
A couple of days ago my windows XP machine went belly up (unsure of cause, possibly a virus). It still boots into windows but files on the hard drive now show as 0 bytes - and have no application associated with them. I don't really care about this, I can reformat and rebuild. But it did the same thing to files on an external drive that was plugged in at the time, and that has important files I need back (videos of my children :( ).

I've tried running a couple of recovery programs but no joy. The files appear, but they are all still zero bytes. The recovery programs correctly identify the disk usage (250GB on a 1TB drive) so I believe the data is still there. But the analysis tools show these files as many fragmented video files.

Has anyone seen this problem and/or can give me any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about recovering files file size
  1. What recovery programs have you tried using? I'd suggest some now but you might have already tried them.
  2. I've tried R-studio and getdataback. I'd be hugely grateful for any further suggestions on other programs to try. Thanks!
  3. Hi superclive, got your PM. Sorry for not getting back to you. I really suggest you contact a professional service if your files are that important. Trying to fix the problem yourself may complicate things. Try this out: http://www.datarecovery.net/for-individuals.html
  4. Those 0kb files are nonrecoverable.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives File Size Storage