I need a program that will stress all four cores on my Q6600.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I'm looking for a simple program to where I can run only one program to stress all four cores of my Q6600, please no running two of the same instants! I was having a hard time trying to install Orthos, I would extract the files to "My Documents", and its like it didn't do anything! I kept getting errors when trying to run Orthos. :fou: What the h3ll is going on?Please help, Thank you.

blackwater11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
3ds max will stress all four cores during render. Not only does it render using all 4 but it uses them at 100% until the render is complete. Your vertices's / polygons have to be higher than a certain amount. It is the first program I've used that will stress all cores at 100% till the task is finished. I do not have a workstation card so most of the render utilizes the cpu. The render used was a 3d model of a jet turbine engine so the polys were high.
*this is not a simple program

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I just wanted the most up to date version of Prime95, I've been out of the loop (forum surfing at Tom's) for about a year. This is my brother computer build, his 2001 Dell has had it! :lol:

Maybe you could lend me a hand at this HDD thread. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247682-32-build-boots-hard-drive-detected

MisfitSELF

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
The latest version of Prime95 that came out a month or two ago (ver 25) will stress all four cores without having to go through the gyrations of running four individual instances of the program. I guess they figured out how to have the single program automatically detect and assign work to each CPU.

Works like a charm on all seven computers I have it now installed on (one quad core, two dual cores, and four single cores). All processors are at 100% load.

You can find it at www.mersenne.org

MisfitSELF

CompuTronix

Intel Master
systemlord,

That explains why I haven't seen any posts from you for awhile. Welcome back. Good to see you again.

The latest version of Prime95 is 25.73 - http://mersenne.org/freesoft - which was very recently released October 6th. The download is about half way down the page.

This version, as well as the last several will automatically thread all 4 cores, so it's easy to use, and is the standard in the overclocking community for thermal and stability testing. Just remember that when Prime95 is run for the first time, select "Round off checking" so errors will be always be flagged as they occur.

Comp :sol:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
zubai and easymoney9,

While Burn Test is useful as a quick preliminary "Easy Button" stability check, it is unsuitable for long term CPU stability testing or thermal testing.

As the author of the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide - here at Tom's, allow me to explain why Prime95 Small FFT's is the standard for stability and thermal testing in the overclocking community.

Prime95 Small FFT's maintains the steady-state 100% workload required for consistent CPU testing, and does not oscillate between high and low workloads, nor does it load all registers with all one's, which produces unrealistically high temperatures @ 115% workload.

You can get a similar explanation from the author of Real Temp, Kevin Glynn, (unclewebb) over at XtremeSystems - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179044&page=113 - where there's a 113 page thread detailing the ongoing development of Real Temp, much of which revolves around CPU load testing.

The proof is in observing CPU and Core thermal signatures, which react directly to workload, as shown below using SpeedFan "Charts".

Prime95 Small FFT's:

smallfftyo3.jpg

Prime95 Blend:

blendps8.jpg

Burn Test:

burntestdz6.jpg

I hope this helps you to understand the differences, and why Prime95 Small FFT's remains the CPU testing standard.

Comp :sol:

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Comp, what about Orthos? runs the same sort of calculations as Prime95 i believe.

In any case, none of those programs are realistic in temperatures, i believe Folding@home to be most accurate to everyday apps. however i still use Orthos because F@H has downtimes and isn't completely consistent..

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Hi CompuTronix, yeah I've been doing Lots of outdoor activity lately. Two of my projects that make use of more computer technology than you might think! Let the pictures do all the talking. :D

picture048wy3.jpg

picture045je1.jpg

p2050005oq2.jpg

2192749560046324542kkfoei4.jpg

2492957590046324542leroel5.jpg

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

They all are except for the bulkheads and differential's, this pretty SuperMax has seen some serious action! I re-polish it every few years, go off big jumps. Just recently I bent my front titanium hing pins (all four) so I made some of my own from ultra hardened steel that will snap instead of bending. Those grooves are there for the set screws, no more e-clips.

picture052dw8.jpg