Sign in with
Your question

Help upgrading MoBO on old PC

Last response: in Motherboards
May 26, 2008 7:19:16 PM

I have an old Sony VAIO Desktop with a ASUS mobo that maxes out at 1GB of ram.

It has a INTEL P4 - 2.66GHZ

I want to upgrade the MoBo, just to get it some more memory until I can do an entire new build, plus later I will use this PC for some Live Music Recording Studio software only, and I need more memory.

How do I know or find out what socket type it is, and which mobo I can get.

I found this:

BIOSTAR P4M900M4 478 VIA P4M900 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have an EVGA GeForce 7300GT Graphics card that I'd like to keep.

I tried upgrading the PSU, but the new one had different connections, So i guess I need an older style PSU????
The one I have is only 350watts, that came stock with the Sony PC.

Thanks for the help, I'm a little new at this.

Cory

More about : upgrading mobo

May 26, 2008 9:48:46 PM

1) You're probably out of luck, since your system is so old, finding old MBs or other components will likely cost more than just buying something current. For example, DDR2 (current) RAM costs about $35-40 for 2x1GB. DDR RAM (what your system likely uses) costs about twice as much.
2) Stay far away from any MBs that do not have an Intel chipset; you don't want to deal with instability caused by low-end chipsets and the lower-quality drivers associated with them. The MB you mentioned is a low-end MB using a low-end VIA chipset.
3) A good-quality new setup can be had for less than $200 :
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L MB ($90)
Retail Intel e2180 CPU + cooler ($70), overclockable to 3GHz
2x1GB DDR2-800 RAM ($30-$40)
4) If you replace your MB, you'll have to reinstall Windows (or do a "repair install") anyway -- does the Sony come with a Windows CD that will allow that, or just a "system restore CD"?
5) You can download CPU-Z for free - it runs under Windows and will give you lots of info on exactly what CPU, chipset, RAM, etc you have in your system.
May 26, 2008 10:25:15 PM

Okay - So you I really like your thoughts.

So I can use my existing case, HDD, and DVD drives.
what about PSU???

My PC only came with a system Restore.

I used the SANDRA software and found out quite a bit, but unfortunately I don't know what most of it means. LOL

Current mobo is an ASUS P4S533VL, 1GB maximum mem, FSB 533, standard DDR-SDRAM.

I was concerned about the old HDD being compatible with a new Mobo, The current HDD is Maxtor 6Y120L0,
- interface is ATA (what does that mean????)
it is 200GB partitioned

It looks like I will go that way, so I just need to know about the HDD and the OS?

Thanks for the help!
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2008 12:26:50 AM

Your Sony sounds like the one I got sitting on my floor, so you need to get a new case and PSU. Your hard drive is a PATA for my Maxtor 200GB PATA starts with 6L, as well as your DVD drives. With current mobos, you can use the Maxtor and only one DVD drive, unless you can find a mobo that still has two PATA ports.
May 27, 2008 4:47:20 PM

OKay so this is what i'm thinking -

mobo - Foxconn M7VMX-K LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / = $54

cpu - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz = $70

Ram - G.Skill 2GB (2x1) = $45

Update RAIDMAX Scorpio ATX-868WSP = $50
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

What do you think??? ANd any ideas on the OS since I just have a recovery disc???
!