Sign in with
Your question

Need info on optical drives

Last response: in Storage
May 28, 2009 11:17:15 PM

hey, first time builder, and i've practically covered everything except optical drives and monitors

Some stuff i need to know about optical drives

1) these are the things u stick your CD's, video games in, right? :p 

2) What is the difference between blue-ray and DVD drives, i know blue-ray is for running blue ray, im assuming they both work the same except blue ray can run blue ray, yes?

3) any difference in performance between DVD drives / blue-ray drives

4) Is there some kind of catogory for SATA drives? Do i need to plug in my SATA Hard drives to my optical drive?

5) i only need one optical drive if im not planning to burning CD's and such, yes?

6) what is the best, "recommended", trustworthy brand for optical drives i should use?

Thank you! lol i really did mean it when i dont know anything about optical drives :p , after this, ill almost be done completing my computer >:]

More about : info optical drives

June 1, 2009 6:42:57 AM

Are you serious? :p 

1) Yes

2) Blu-Ray = bigger capacity. BD drives support DVDs, but DVD drives can't read BD disks

3) Well, BD drives can read more data within the same time, especially since it has to process more information to show HD video.

4) It depends on your PC setup. You only do that if you're "slaving" your hard disk to the BD drive, which is a less than optimal setup anyway.

5) Yes, even if you are

6) I honestly wouldn't know, since I don't have that much experience with BD drives.

Hope I've been of some help :D 
a b G Storage
June 1, 2009 3:47:28 PM

No experience with BlueRay drives.

Modern motherboard, get a SATA drive - no more worrying about Master-Slave jumpers, which will make the people in California really happy. :) 

DVD writers, personal choice: first - Samsung, close second - LG, distant third - anything else.
Related resources
June 2, 2009 1:53:20 AM

jsc said:
No experience with BlueRay drives.

Modern motherboard, get a SATA drive - no more worrying about Master-Slave jumpers, which will make the people in California really happy. :) 

DVD writers, personal choice: first - Samsung, close second - LG, distant third - anything else.

California fail

Thx Lavarin, pretty commen sense questions but just needed to know LoL

Ill check out Samsung, only reason i might go blu-ray is for movies
a b G Storage
June 2, 2009 2:18:37 AM

I grabbed a LG GGW-H20L (BluRay burner) for my HTPC. It's mainly used ripping and occasional Blu-ray burning as I edit HDV&AVCHD footage frequently and wanted to have to have the ability to distribute it in HD.
Other than that a BluRay burner just isn't worth the cost atm, much like when DVD burner was first introduced.

If all you want is play/rip BluRay then obviously a BluRay combo drive is a better buy, until BD burner (and BD-R disks) becomes cheap enough which is still a few years away.

I had to buy a new DVD burner recently for one of my new rigs as its mobo didn't support IDE which meant I couldn't use my trustworthy BenQ DW1640.
In the end I settled for Sony AD7200S0 which is a NEC Optiarc 7200 clone. Customizable with Liggy&Dee firmware here.
!