Reinstalling OS (Vista) on new hard drive

I have a laptop with a disc read error, when I install the new hard drive will I be able to use the product key on the sticker that came on the laptop? I can't afford to buy a new copy of windows ontop of a new hard drive I need to buy. Thanks in advance
4 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling vista hard drive
  1. you dont need to purchase a new license for windows if you are simply replacing the hard disk. you can use your existing product key, but you will need the windows installation disk.
  2. Alright, the reason I ask is because I once had to repair a Win XP Home edition OS and it made me re-enter a key after repairing the OS, and the existing key I had wasn't being accepted, this was a few years back (On XP Home edition), any thoughts?
  3. correct, you must use the installation media type for your key. if you have a dell laptop for example the windows key will only work with a dell oem windows disc. If you have a retail version of windows you must use a retail product key as the one printed on the laptop will not work.
  4. nhasian said:
    correct, you must use the installation media type for your key. if you have a dell laptop for example the windows key will only work with a dell oem windows disc. If you have a retail version of windows you must use a retail product key as the one printed on the laptop will not work.

Great, I was just about to ask if I can use my OEM vista business on a dell laptop that needs a new hdd to install Vista Starter. I didn't know if all versions of vista are on the dvd.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Laptops Hard Drives Windows Vista