AS + Gold filings?

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I wouldn't think so. The purpose of thermal paste is to "fill" in the gaps to provide maximum contact. No matter how small the fillings would be, they would not be as good as a paste.

I think a better theoretical question would be, what if both the processor and heatsink were plated in gold, then buffed smooth --- would that provide better thermal conductivity? --- eliminating the need for a paste

m_silkstone

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Melt some gold on the HS, then while it is still liquid press the CPU into it? Would make a perfect fit and it has i higher conductivity than copper, so should work.
hmmmmm

One problem. It already has silver. Silver conducts heat significantly better than gold. The only thing that beats silver for thermal conductivity is actually diamond.

Gold is the best in electrical conductivity, not thermal.

So, the best for thermal conductivity would actually be a diamond wafer for the CPU instead of silicon (something that is actually theoretically possible), and a diamond heatsink directly contacting the CPU die (as close to perfectly mated as possible).

m_silkstone

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Cjl> Yea, i just saw the difference in thermal conductivity after i posted the message. It's strange as they used gold under the hood/bonnet of the McLaren F1 road car to give it better heat dissipation, why didn't the use silver i wonder?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well idk about that... i figured since gold conducts electricity better than silver i assumed it would also conduct heat better lol

Cause it's a F1 car. What did you expect? :lol:

m_silkstone

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Actually i think the thermal diffusivity of gold is a lot higher, leading to faster temperature changes and so a more stable system. although the thermal conductivity of gold is about 110  W·m−1·K−1 lower, gold should transfer the heat more quickly? any metalurgists(sp?) on these forums??

Thermal conductivity determines how fast the heat transfers. It really is that simple. Thermal diffusivity determines how quickly something will cool itself, but not how well it works as a heatsink. That is almost exclusively determined by the thermal conductivity, and gold simply loses to silver in that respect.

m_silkstone

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Thanks cjl> after doing some reading i came to the same conclusion. The gold on the McLaren must just be for bragging rights.
Although silver is much more expensive than copper and has very similar thermal conductivites, makes me wonder why then they don't use a purer copper HS compound. Maybe it has something due to its electrical conductance.

Probably also for some level of bragging rights as well - it just sounds better to say that something has silver in it.

Of course, I'd like to see a pure diamond heatsink :)

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
cjl: I think your GF/Wife would wonder why your computer has a diamond bigger than hers.

That alone would reduce your sexual conductivity to nothing.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: