Underclock

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
Hello!

I see many graphic boards coming out in both GDDR3 and GDDR4 versions.
Is there a reason or is just one the upgrade of the other, and so i should, as a basis, always pick 4 over 3?

If this has been asked already, please refer to that thread, as i could not find one.

Thanks!

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
No, not really GDDR4 just ALLOWS for higher clocks then GDDR3, so no dont base it off that. The Radeon x1950xtx had gddr4, can it beat the 8800GTX with GDDR3??

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
From what I have seen, GDDR4 is not clearly superiour to GDDR3 due to higher latencies. In fact, NVIDIA which has some of the top scoring cards does not even use GDDR4 for that reason.

In Short, I don't think I would use GDDR4 vs GDDR3 as a deciding factor.
One of the most important factors is to examine the benchmarks for your favorite game with a given card.

There can often be quite a difference game to game for ATI (GDDR4 for many of their top cards.) vs NVIDIA (GDDR3 only). Some ATI wins. Others NVIDIA wins. Also be sure to look at screen shots to see which one if any you think looks better since there are some variations in who they display images.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

So true :)

As the other three replies have said its not in and of itself a reason to pick one card over another, so realistically if thats the only differance your choice comes down to then its a toss up between whats cheapest or if you want the 4 because its newer tec.
Mactronix

TRENDING THREADS