phenom 9650 OC with stock cooler

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience with Oc'ing the phenom 9650?

How far can I expect to go on the stock cooler?

I am considering buying a aftersales cooler eventually, but can't afford one at the moment being a student and was wondering if a raise from 2.3 to 2.6 ghz would give reasonable temps in a well ventilated case (4 fans altogether in the antec 300) on the stock cooler.

I bought the cpu recently but it hasn't arrived yet, so hopefully it is one of the newer coolers that ship with the phenom that is apparently better than previous versions.

Anyone overclocked similarly on the stock cooler and what temps have you been getting?

I guess it depends a lot on the rest of my system, but just wondering if anyone has any idea of how probable the 300 mhz rise would be on this processor with the stock cooler?

Cheers

Asus M3N-HD/HDMI (750a chipset)
Phenom 9650 2.3
3 gigs of ddr2 1066 Corsair Dominators
Radeon 4870 1GB (probably)
Corsair 650W PSU (probably)
Antec 300 case (4 120mm fans)

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I don't deal with AMD's and have very little knowledge in this area concerning them, but I imagine you won't increase the temps much if all you do is OC it without raising your voltage any, which is generally what causes the CPU to generate more heat.

May not be the answer you wanted, but the best I can do, and hopefully someone with more experience with AMD processors will come along and help you more.