Intermittent Video on Boot + BSODs

IcemanNorth

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
So, i m having issues with my build. Basically, turn on the power and only sometimes will it actually display anything. When it does work i get BSOD all over the place. Either during Vista install or on Loading or it will just reset on me if I actually do get an install through.

The MoBo has 2 PCIe16 slots, i have tried my card in both, only will work sometimes. MoBo always loads without any errors. (Been using the Asus LSD Poster, and no error messages).

The BSODs have been a mix of Page Fault, Memory Manager and IRQL not Less or Equal. I have changed Rams Simms multiple times. Havent tested the Ram with a boot disk check. Planning on doing that tomorrow.

If anyone has any idea what the trouble is, I would appreciate the help.

Stats:

Asus Rampage Formula
EVGA 9800 GX2
Intel QX9770
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2-800 X4, using only 1 SIMM for Vista 64 Ultimate install,
WD Caviars 750GB AYYS X2
LG BlueRay HD Reader, DVD-R,CD-R

akhilles

Splendid
Not necessarily ram, but ram settings in bios. With ballistix, you got to up the vdimm by a notch.

Also, does your mobo bios support the cpu? Check asus site to make sure.

Then, write this to floppy/cd/dvd & restart & it will run the test:

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

On a working pc that is. Then report back any error & test #.

IcemanNorth

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I increased Vdimm to 2.2V like and I tested all 4 Dimms. And all have errors with Memtest. I switched Slots too, A1 to B1 and I still get the same errors with the same dimm.

Most of the errors come in test 3,4,6,7

They all have the same error of writing to the '0000000000' address. All bits are always bad there.

There are single bit errors too though. Either '08000000' or '00000080'

Still, 4 bad Dimms? The dimms maybe bad now but the likely hood of getting 4 is pretty small. So coupled with the problem of no video at boot most of the time. Is the MoBo Bad?

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Who cares what crucial says. Does Asus say it is? Crucial will find ram for every board because 95% it works but sometimes it dont. If your board dont like it to bad so sad. Best thing to do is buy a cheap stick on the QVL and try it.