Sign in with
Your question

[CHANGED] thoughts about gaming build

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2008 7:38:33 AM

Here is my updated build as of April 8th:
Intel E8500
Asus P5N-D
Geil/Corasir/G.skill 2GB kit CL4 800Mhz (not sure yet , see post 20)
BFG 9800GTX (could go for the inno3d or twintech which are considerably cheaper, or XFX which is slightly cheaper, but all come with 3 year warranty)
Western Digital WD2500AAKS
LG GH20N
OCZ StealthXstream 600W
Coolermaster Centurion RC534

Will the Motherboard support SLI at 16x each?
Other thoughts and suggestions?
April 5, 2008 8:06:30 AM

All quality parts, so no need to change much. I'd probably go with the Corsair vx550w PSU, because it has more amps on the 12V rail than the one you listed. The Corsair vx550w PSU has 41A and the PCP&C has 26A, so that might limit your next GPU upgrade. Not sure if 26A is enough for the 9800gtx, but since it's PCP&C it'll probably do. It just might be pushing it too much though, so that is why I was recommending the Corsair PSU.
Related resources
April 5, 2008 8:30:59 AM

The PSU you've picked is a'ight but the Corsair 550vx is available for $55 on buy.com ... thats a sh**load of power for a very competitive price. Get it while its available.
April 5, 2008 9:25:41 AM

I live outside of the US and I have narrowed down the list to 3 PSU's:
-SilverStone Strider ST50F 500W
-Antec EarthWatts 500W
-PC P&C Silencer 470W

Chose the PC P&C.
April 5, 2008 7:40:55 PM

I came to a conclusion that I wont be buying the Q9450 for several reasons, so my options
are now Q6600 or E8500 , which is best for gaming?
when will games that utilize all 4 cores will be released?

April 5, 2008 8:00:01 PM

By all means E8X is the best for gaming. Games that utilize all cores are at least a couple of years away. Yeah lots of people will say Lost planet and blah...theres a Mahabharata going on about quad vs dual core..... but the truth is the E8x is best for gaming, and will be for quite a while.
April 6, 2008 12:13:00 AM

^Agreed, just go with the e8500. Make sure you take good advantage of that OCing potential ;) 
April 6, 2008 2:07:51 AM

ilan2212 said:
I came to a conclusion that I wont be buying the Q9450 for several reasons, so my options
are now Q6600 or E8500 , which is best for gaming?
when will games that utilize all 4 cores will be released?

Well, Lost Planet is already quad optimized, and shows huge improvents in quad over dual. Supreme commander also show relatively large improvements in quad, but is not officially quad optimized. Those are the only 2 I know of. Some say Starcraft 2, when released, will be quad optimized, but it's only a baseless rumor at this point. Nearly all games show a little improvement in quad over dual, but only because of background programs being moved over to vacant cores, and usually matter too little to be noticable.

Still, if you want your rig to last, quad is probably the smarter choice. Remember, they said that games will never be dual optimized years back, and it happened anyway. The first duals from that time are slow, but still fast enough to be useful in gaming. Comparable single core processors from the same time period are basically useless by now. History is better indicator of future developments than what any of those self proclaimed geeks say. (not aimed at anyone here) :na: 
April 6, 2008 7:18:13 PM

Still not sure on wich one to choose...
My choices are Q6600/E8500/Q9300 , which is best for gaming for
the coming 1.5 - 2 years?
April 6, 2008 7:37:09 PM

ilan2212 said:
Still not sure on wich one to choose...
My choices are Q6600/E8500/Q9300 , which is best for gaming for
the coming 1.5 - 2 years?

Read posts 7, 8 and 9 for the answer.
April 7, 2008 1:40:59 AM

dagger said:
Well, Lost Planet is already quad optimized, and shows huge improvents in quad over dual. Supreme commander also show relatively large improvements in quad, but is not officially quad optimized. Those are the only 2 I know of. Some say Starcraft 2, when released, will be quad optimized, but it's only a baseless rumor at this point. Nearly all games show a little improvement in quad over dual, but only because of background programs being moved over to vacant cores, and usually matter too little to be noticable.

Still, if you want your rig to last, quad is probably the smarter choice. Remember, they said that games will never be dual optimized years back, and it happened anyway. The first duals from that time are slow, but still fast enough to be useful in gaming. Comparable single core processors from the same time period are basically useless by now. History is better indicator of future developments than what any of those self proclaimed geeks say. (not aimed at anyone here) :na: 

Personally I don't find the quad results that impressive. Lost Planet was quad optimized and received a decent 30% gain, when the speed of the cores was the same in the duo vs quad, once the duo was clocked higher it did better. Similar thing with Sup Com, even Tom's has the E8500 besting the Q6600 by 3 fps, not a big margin but we're talking processors here. Not to mention the E8500 is easier to overclock (I've heard OC newbies OC'ing it to 4GHz easy) and you have yourself a faster all around machine.

As for Starcraft II, we're talking about a Blizzard strategy game with a South Korean core demographic, this thing will run on anything and even if it runs 30% better on a quad you don't need 60fps to play a strategy game. Starcraft II will be used as much for benchmarking rigs as WoW is, i.e. not very much.

I'm in a similar situation and went with a E8400 and am more than happy, there are big gains to be had right away with the higher clock rate and the gains from quad optimized applications are decent but it's not like they leave duo's in the dust. If in two years everything is quad optimized you'll still get comparable results using a higher clocked dual core compared with a lower clocked quad.

Keep in mind we're talking about gaming here, in which optimizing for quad core processors is a fair amount of work, in other applications there are benefits to quad core processors and if you're looking for an all around performer a q6600 isn't a bad choice. For gaming however the E8500 is far superior with its higher clock rate and overclocking potential.
April 7, 2008 2:58:50 AM

Another thought on dual vs quad is how soon you'll plan on upgrading your machine. Full realization of extra cores is at least a couple of years off, but if you don't plan on upgrading for 4-5 years, going with the quad may pay off by then.

That being said, I would go with the E8500. However I would upgrade the processor before you would see the benefit of quad over dual. Additionally, like everyone else said, the E8500 offers better overclocking potential.
April 7, 2008 3:11:12 AM

litlrabi said:
Another thought on dual vs quad is how soon you'll plan on upgrading your machine. Full realization of extra cores is at least a couple of years off, but if you don't plan on upgrading for 4-5 years, going with the quad may pay off by then.

Who upgrades every 4-5 years? Even my parents (who buy computers at either Best Buy or Radioshack) upgrade every 3. Even if you're on a tight budget a $500 mobo/processor/gpu upgrade every 3 will keep you in the game in a big way, hell I've seen $800 builds that beat 6 month old $1600 rigs. 4-5 year cycles are for consoles man ;) 
April 7, 2008 10:47:10 AM

So e8500 it is!
April 7, 2008 11:29:20 AM

doesn't matter really, both are really fast and nice chips. just get the cheaper one.
April 7, 2008 3:59:19 PM

The purchase has been put off a bit , so I begun thinking about the build again.
What I thought about is this:
The 9800GTX costs about the same as two 9600GT (where I live at least)
and at Tom's it is said that the performance is better.
For that , I need a SLI compatible board - here is where I need your help.
I need it to have two PCI-Ex16 slots , I will be using one optical drive
and one HDD (for starters , maybe Ill add more but thats unlikely)
good overclockabilty - and all for the cheapest price.
Also , I thought about using 2Gb memory with faster timings.
Thoughts?
April 7, 2008 6:39:01 PM

Go for the E8500, but I really would get the 550W Corsair. I bought 2 8800GTs for £250 from ebuyer. I've got the Corsair PSU and it's really nice, I'd look for a modular, but it's a little more expensive.

You might want to see if you can find a set of RAM at 1066MHz for overclocking potantial. You could of course hope that you'll be able to OC your DDR2 6400 a lot though.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138569

It looks like that MB supports RAM at that speed too, but for a decent SLI board for that you'd want something like this;

For RAM at 800MHz http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/...

I havn't found anything with SLI that allows RAM at 1066MHz.
April 7, 2008 6:57:16 PM

I dont have much choice of PSU's over where I live , so if I go
for the second build I suggested its going to be the
OCZ StealthXstream 600W or the Thermaltake Toughpower 600W (my vote goes to OCZ)
As for ram , I have a few new choices:
OCZ Reaper 2GB kit CL3 edition , and other 2GB kits CL4 from corsair,
ocz,g.skill,geil...
But my main issue is the motherboard which has to support SLI
and be cheap.
EDIT: I will probably go for the ASUS P5N-D as it seems its my only choice.
what sort of performance boost will I get with the OCZ Reaper 2GB kit CL3 Edition
when compared with other 2GB kits CL4 (800mhz)?
April 8, 2008 6:04:31 AM

Which memory is the best of the ones listed below:
-Corasir TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (2GB kit , 800Mhz CL4-4-4-12)
-Geil PC2-6400 800Mhz Black Dragon 2GB Kit CL4-4-4-12 http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/119
-G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK DDRII PC6400 2GB kit 800MHZ CL4-4-4-12
Updated first post.
April 8, 2008 7:45:45 PM

What diffrence does the manufacturer of the GPU's make
if their all clocked the same?
If it does make a diffrence , which one is best?
XFX , BFG , INNO3D , Twintech (cheapest)
April 11, 2008 12:18:02 PM

OK Ive ordered the PC , here are the specs:
Intel E8500
Asus P5N-D SLi
Corasir TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB Kit CL4 800Mhz
XFX 9800GTX
Western Digital WD2500AAKS
LG GH20N
OCZ StealthXstream 600W
Coolermaster Centurion RC534
!