Computer won't boot after MB Changeout

popezeke

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
I am in need of some advice as I have reached the end of my computer super geek powers. I was having some thermal issues with my custom built system. The specs are as follows, for reference purposes:

Antec LanBoy Case w/ CoolMaster 650 W PSU (replacement of orginal PSU)
Intel D875PBZ MB w/ Intel Socket 478 3.6 GHz Pentium 4 CPU
2-512 Mb DDR Ram
2-30 Gb Hard Drives & 500 Gb Hard drive
52X CD Burner (Creative)
DVD-Rom (Sony)
Floppy
256 Mb AGP Video Card (Manf unknown at this time)

The problems started with the graphics going pixelated, which would correct itself after reboot. Then the system would shut down and give an error stating that the system had thermal issues and had shut down as a protective action. The last issue was I shut the system down over the weekend and returned to it on Monday it would not boot up. The fans would spin up but not POST, not even a beep tone.

I was advised to check all the connections and found Pin 13 on the PSU connection to the MB was scorched inside the connector. I was then advised to replace the PSU and the MB as the surge most like ly damaged the MB.

I replaced the MB with an identical model with a new PSU and now the fans will not even spin up. I press the power button and they will spin for less than a second and then nothing. At least before they would still spin but the rest of the system would be silient.

Does anyone have suggestions, comments or opinions? I have been told that the CPU may be fried or the MB Memory may have been comprimised.

Thanks in advance.

sailer

Splendid
Three things come to mind. First, the new PSU may be DOA. It happens and its always frustrating. Second, you didn't hook up one or more wires correctly. Done that one myself. So recheck all the wires. Third, there might be a short between the motherboard and the case, causing the PSU to quit as soon as things got hot. Kind of a failsafe to protect the components. Of these things, I'd suspect a PSU problem first, but a wiring problem as a close second.

If the CPU or ram had a problem, you should at least get beep tones or something, and neither would interfere with the fans spinning up. Not saying that they couldn't have a problem, only that they shouldn't cause the problem you described. By the way, the pixelating problems first encountered may have been a video card going bad or overheating. Can't say for sure, but if you can, check the card in a different machine and see if it works correctly there.

popezeke

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
OK went and picked up two new PSU and the computer still will not boot. The fans spin briefly, less than one second, and nothing else. Now, I did remove the battery from the board and let it sit for a few minutes and when I plugged everything back in and fired up the power it initially powered all fans and waited until I pressed the power button on the case. Then the same thing of no spinning and nothing else. I even purchased new stick of memory in case the original stuff was damaged.

Any suggestions? I think that there must be some wire connected wrong. I can not find it or figure out why this is happening.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
When you changed the motherboard, did you clean old TIM from CPU & heatsink and replace with fresh TIM? Are you SURE heatsink is fully clamped at all 4 points? Otherwise looks like CPU. You have changed PSU, motherboard and RAM. Could be video card, remove it, should give error beeps for video problem. To test properly, motherboard, CPU & heatsink, no memory or cards or drives. Should give error code for no memory( continuous beeps). If that doesn't occur, is CPU!

Mike.

endyen

Splendid
You have a dead short somewhere. The psu kicks off as soon as it sees it.
First, try to spin the fan on your gfx card by hand. If it will not turn, or you think you might break the blade off trying, your gfx card is hooped.
If it spins fine, look at the caps around your chip. They should be flat on top, and not leaking.

TRENDING THREADS